Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie here with a simple question if I may.

scooby

Country Flag
england
Hello folks. Just joined this Forum and so far it looks very hepful and informative. I have an 06 LC4, before that a "Collie" But I have stupid question if I may. I have searched but couldn't find what I wanted. I have what looks like a frosted o/s headlamp outer. . I thought I would take the headlamp unit out because it looked as if it comes apart and I thought I might be able to buy just the outer. But for the life of me I can't get the unit out of the wing. I have removed bolts A,B,& C as shown below and it is loose enough to remove but an annoying little plastic protusion to the left of A stops me from getting it right out.

Could anyone help please. TIA.

LCheadlamp 4.jpg

Hello folks. Just joined this Forum and so far it looks very hepful and informative. I have an 06 LC4, before that a "Collie" But I have stupid question if I may. I have searched but couldn't find what I wanted. I have what looks like a frosted o/s headlamp outer. . I thought I would take the headlamp unit out because it looked as if it comes apart and I thought I might be able to buy just the outer. But for the life of me I can't get the unit out of the wing. I have removed bolts A,B,& C as shown below and it is loose enough to remove but an annoying little plastic protusion to the left of A stops me from getting it right out.

Could anyone help please. TIA.

View attachment 159772
As far as I know there is atleast 2 bolts under the headlamp that need to be removed and access to them is done by removing the plastic inner wing wheel spash panel .

Hey, that was quick TONYCY11. Thank you. I am surprised though because when I had removed those 3 bolts the unit was very loose as if it was ready to come out.

Hey, that was quick TONYCY11. Thank you. I am surprised though because when I had removed those 3 bolts the unit was very loose as if it was ready to come out.
Hi Scooby
it is a thin L shape bracket that holds the bolt to the panel and will flex when you twist the headlamp unit . it is on mine at least , about 4 years ago when changing the headlight bulbs to LEDs the spring clip that holds the bulb in place flipped inside the passenger side headlamp and I had to remove the headlamp to get it out , I think it is two bolts underneath but it could possibly be just one bolt . you might be able to undo them by working under the bumper , but I remember undoing the front of the splash panel to see why the headlamp was not coming away by removing the top three bolts , you will have to pull it toward you a few inches so you can unplug the wires before removing it fully .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again TONYCY11, what you say about flexing makes sense now. Not sure what the "front splash panel" is but no doubt it will become apparent when I have another look. I had thought that it looked as though once the unit was coming out that I would have to unplug the wiring set-up to get it out completely. Thanks again.

EDIT. Would you (or anyone) know if the plastic lens can be bought separately or is it a complete new unit ?

Thanks again TONYCY11, what you say about flexing makes sense now. Not sure what the "front splash panel" is but no doubt it will become apparent when I have another look. I had thought that it looked as though once the unit was coming out that I would have to unplug the wiring set-up to get it out completely. Thanks again.

EDIT. Would you (or anyone) know if the plastic lens can be bought separately or is it a complete new unit ?
The splash panel as I call it I dont know the tec name is the plastic liner above the tyre inside the wheel arch . the headlamp unit looks to me to be bonded together and not able to get them apart with out breaking it , you can get them from roughtrax for about £173 complete with electric adjuster or £93 without electric adjuster or mabe cheaper on ebay , mine frosted over with the sun here in sunny Cyprus , I just went over them with T cut then mer polish and then carplan no 1 supergloss and they look brand new again all crystal clear , I now wipe no1 super gloss over them when doing the rest of the car, if they go frosty again I will clear lacquer them after cleaning them up to stop them frosting up . if its steaming up on the inside you could try drilling a hole at the back low down to clear moisture but check the back rubber backing plates are fitted correctly that stops damp at the back of the headlamp unit from getting in .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are kits available to use with a drill to cut the oxidised outer surface of the headlights back to a clear finish, which can be done with the headlight still fitted.
One example: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/c...MIgtPU9Jnz5AIVh7PtCh35PwM6EAQYASABEgI9d_D_BwE
I did mine in situ about 3 months ago with what I had lying around , a car painter here told me he uses baking soda powder mixed with white vinegar into a paste and applied with a micro fibre cloth in a circular motion and its as good as any kit you can buy , here in Cyprus its a common problem for headlights to haze over with the sun on them if you dont put wax on them . mine hazed over at the top flat part that is level with the bonnet and took half an hour to do both headlamps . but I might try the baking soda/white vinegar if it hazes up again and then spray clear non yellowing lacquer I have already bought on them .

Thanks very much to both of you. But you have got me thinking now. I honestly thought that the frosting was on the inside but now I've read the recent posts from you both I'm not so sure because she sits in a car port when not being used. It's the Wife's vehicle really, I hardly ever drive it, and she reverses it in and the car port, like the house, faces due South. i.e. when the sun is out it is shining on the vehicle all the time. The n/s is not affected but she dinged it a couple of years ago and a new lamp unit was fitted. She is only doing about 3k miles/year and so it spends a lot of time facing directly into the sun.

Thanks guys, I'll have a closer look.

I used a product called Durasol, Got it from my local Hardware shop.. A German product, Looks like a tube of 'toofpaste' .... Did the trick, Came up like Polished glass:lol:......D' ya Get it'...

Thanks very much to both of you. But you have got me thinking now. I honestly thought that the frosting was on the inside but now I've read the recent posts from you both I'm not so sure because she sits in a car port when not being used. It's the Wife's vehicle really, I hardly ever drive it, and she reverses it in and the car port, like the house, faces due South. i.e. when the sun is out it is shining on the vehicle all the time. The n/s is not affected but she dinged it a couple of years ago and a new lamp unit was fitted. She is only doing about 3k miles/year and so it spends a lot of time facing directly into the sun.

Thanks guys, I'll have a closer look.
You will know if its on the outside if you gently feel it where its dull it will feel rough compared to the clear part that will feel smooth ,

You will know if its on the outside if you gently feel it where its dull it will feel rough compared to the clear part that will feel smooth ,

Yes, I gave it a good rub but because it is 100% affected I didn't have any smooth as a comparison. I'll rub the n/s in comparison and see what I get.

I used a product called Durasol, Got it from my local Hardware shop.. A German product, Looks like a tube of 'toofpaste' .... Did the trick, Came up like Polished glass:lol:......D' ya Get it'...

I Googled and eBayed Durasol but couldn't find anything. I've got something in the workshop but can't remember what it's called but it's a chrome cleaner but that's in a tube.

I Googled and eBayed Durasol but couldn't find anything. I've got something in the workshop but can't remember what it's called but it's a chrome cleaner but that's in a tube.
Any thing that cleans tarnish on chrome I am pretty sure will work ,

Just checked and my tube of chrome cleaner is Autosol.
Try it it may take two coats , make sure you wash it off with car shampoo afterwards just in case it stains the plastic lenses if left on overnight , which I dont think it will , then try a bit of car wax or car body sealant to protect it from future UV sunlight .

Thanks again gentlemen. I have learned so much and only been on here a couple of days. I'll have a go on a small area with this .
upload_2019-9-28_20-58-37.png

Thanks for that but I think I'll try the polish first, principally because the tube of Autosol that I've got is at least 12 years old and so I'll get some more or Dursol if I can find it. I'm not very conversant with wet & dry sandpapers and 2500 grit does sound very fine but I would have thought that it would have scratched it a bit ?

Back