Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nice.

Absolutely beautiful. :icon-cool: Strange though they say "The owner wanted to be able to sleep within the truck and the comprehensive organizers fit the bill" yet he has a roof tent. :think:

Very nice Andy! When's it getting delivered! :thumbup:

Not so strange Chas. I am thinking along the same lines. There could be trips when you need the roof rack space for second spare wheel etc so you may not be able to use the roof tent. Also, the roof tent does not work for 'urban camping', while a mattress in the back does. Similarly, I might remove the roof tent but may still want to go for weekends away - a mattress at the back would be easier to set up than putting the roof tent back on.

Absolutely beautiful. :icon-cool: Strange though they say "The owner wanted to be able to sleep within the truck and the comprehensive organizers fit the bill" yet he has a roof tent. :think:

There could be trips when you need the roof rack space for second spare wheel etc so you may not be able to use the roof tent. Also, the roof tent does not work for 'urban camping', while a mattress in the back does. Similarly, I might remove the roof tent but may still want to go for weekends away - a mattress at the back would be easier to set up than putting the roof tent back on.

I would think any trips where you may need a second spare wheel would be one where you would also want a roof tent.
Any spur of the moment trip where you might not need a second spare I agree it would be a bit of a faf to refit the roof tent, but on any planned trip fitting the tent would surely be part of the plan. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would think any trips where you may need a second spare wheel would be one where you would also want a roof tent.
Any spur of the moment trip where you might not need a second spare I agree it would be a bit of a faf to refit the roof tent, but on any planned trip fitting the tent would surely be part of the plan. :think:

I have not fitting a roof tent. This is just IMHO, but I think it is one of those 'bling' type unnecessary items that just draw attention to your vehicle like a load of stickers. Bit like having a dirty big EU flag on your number plate. An 80 doesn't clearly blend into traffic, but they area global vehicle so avoiding all the roof tent gubbins at least makes you look a bit less conspicuous.

It depends on how you want to travel and where, but I prefer not to draw attention to myself as a 'rich foreigner' where ever possible.

lots of people use a roof tent for general camping because of the extra space, and it's cooler/more comfortable than in the vehicle, but they may sometimes want to sleep in the vehicle for reasons of comfort/convenience.

I decided against a roof tent. they are heavy, especially for a familly. It means getting the truck level, you can't always camp where you can park, they cost a bomb, especially for a familly and while they perform ok is australia in the dry season on a wet day in wales they seem less capable (just what I have heard), oh, and my knees are shagged and won't cope with going up and down the ladder for a piss in the night!!

I have not fitting a roof tent. This is just IMHO, but I think it is one of those 'bling' type unnecessary items that just draw attention to your vehicle like a load of stickers. Bit like having a dirty big EU flag on your number plate. An 80 doesn't clearly blend into traffic, but they area global vehicle so avoiding all the roof tent gubbins at least makes you look a bit less conspicuous.

It depends on how you want to travel and where, but I prefer not to draw attention to myself as a 'rich foreigner' where ever possible.

Do you honestly think we spend hundreds on a roof tent just because we think it looks good? :icon-confused: In my case it is necessary, I have one because with my back problem it is a lot easier to climb a ladder than it is to be bending over pitching a tent. I could get an inflatable Vango tent, or would that be too 'bling' I suppose I could always sleep inside the truck but that would mean sacrificing space inside for other things.
Travelling in the UK I wouldn't be but if I came to Ireland would I be classed as a 'rich foreigner'
I'm a pensioner and far from rich but I get by.
I think using words like 'bling' and 'rich foreigner' are a bit disparaging.

That is nice, very nice. I actually prefer the more classic look of the round headlights. I would get pissed off fairly quickly trying to access those lockers though, especially once they have a load of kit thrown on top of them. I searched high and low for a rear bar like that but couldn't find one.

At some stage I will change the engine in mine and have been wondering about the feasibility of a 4.2, 12HT engines being rare, expensive and more difficult to get parts for.

lots of people use a roof tent for general camping because of the extra space, and it's cooler/more comfortable than in the vehicle, but they may sometimes want to sleep in the vehicle for reasons of comfort/convenience.

I decided against a roof tent. they are heavy, especially for a familly. It means getting the truck level, you can't always camp where you can park, they cost a bomb, especially for a familly and while they perform ok in australia in the dry season on a wet day in wales they seem less capable (just what I have heard), oh, and my knees are shagged and won't cope with going up and down the ladder for a piss in the night!!

Last edited:
My knees aren't too good either, and I take an empty drink bottle upstairs to avoid the ladder climb in the night. :lol:

Chas, while roof tents are getting an airing tonight :whistle:I'm interested to know if an air top would fit inside my ARB roof rack. Would you be kind enough to measure the widest width and the longest length of yours (Airtop that is :oops:) and I'll get some measurements of my rack.

No rush, anytime this year will do. Thanks :thumbup:

Threadjack over.... sorry.

BTW, that 60 looks too good to get dirty. It's a beauty!

Will do it in the morning Clive, I've written myself a note.
interrogation.gif

Do you honestly think we spend hundreds on a roof tent just because we think it looks good? :icon-confused: In my case it is necessary, I have one because with my back problem it is a lot easier to climb a ladder than it is to be bending over pitching a tent. I could get an inflatable Vango tent, or would that be too 'bling' I suppose I could always sleep inside the truck but that would mean sacrificing space inside for other things.
Travelling in the UK I wouldn't be but if I came to Ireland would I be classed as a 'rich foreigner'
I'm a pensioner and far from rich but I get by.
I think using words like 'bling' and 'rich foreigner' are a bit disparaging.

Apologies Chas, it is not meant to be disparaging at all. There was a bit of a discussion about this on the HUBB a while ago and it was more about 'blending into the local traffic' versus the shiny bells and whistles approach to overlanding. Here is a loner version of what I wrote.....

As regards the above, well I have a 1991 80 series landcruiser, not a Hilux, I actually had a mk3 Hilux for the farm and I never found it overly comfortable on a longer drive so I bought an 80 series as well. I do agree with the argument for avoiding all the Dakar rally look, I've kept it pretty much stock, except for a bullbar and winch on the front, but I put that on because its useful for home. The only other visiable modification that IMHO can serve any purpose is a snorkle. What the attraction in roof tents is I do not know, and as for covering it in stickers like a bread van or a rally car, no thanks.

I wouldn't touch anything with a euro 4/5 engine for a trip, regardless of what Surfy achieved (personally I think he was lucky). Never mind the diesel quality, how are electronic mishaps going to be fixed on the road, yes you can trace them MOST of the time with a laptop and suitable software but where are you going to find the sensors etc to fix them. Remember all the normal mechanical problems can still happen to, you are only adding a whole lot of (totally unnecessary) extra parts to break too.

Added to that, in a big new Landcruiser 200, local people are going to think you are either a super rich foreigner, to either be milked or suspicious of; or that you are a gangster; or that your just a t!t in a big shiny yoke going 'look at me' same as we all think when some clown in a big expensive car is trying to push out of a junction at home.

The last bit is just my 2 cents worth, its not meant to offend anyone, but I have always felt a bit happier at least trying to blend in where ever I go. I don't wear flash clothes, or like 'bling' and am instantly untrusting of anyone like that. People who engage in ostentatious displays of wealth tend to garner that reaction the world over, especially in rural areas where people are naturally conservative, often poor and at the very least 'thrifty', no matter if your in Ireland, Germany, Romania, China or wherever.
blushing.gif
taz.gif

I hope that.s a bit clearer. There are equally lots of arguments for them, both general and personal such as yours. Also I have never studied one up close (because they ARE a total rarity her in Ireland) they look easily damaged (by low trees, only a guess) and have to reduce your chances to stealth/wild camp cause they stick up in the air!!
This is a great blog about 'no frills' overland traveld

http://eurasiaoverland.wordpress.com/

And in an honest answer to the 'if you came to Ireland' question......

Well yes they would!!!!!!!!!

But given that I was once asked if you could 'eat the food in Ukraine because of that nuclear thing' you can imagine what you are up against :laughing-rolling:. Oh, another gem was (asked in 2011:laughing-rolling:), what about that war thing in Bosnia, does it not make it a bit dangerous?' .
If you think 'little Englanders' are insular, you should try Ireland for a while!!

I hope that.s a bit clearer. There are equally lots of arguments for them, both general and personal such as yours. Also I have never studied one up close (because they ARE a total rarity her in Ireland) they look easily damaged (by low trees, only a guess) and have to reduce your chances to stealth/wild camp cause they stick up in the air!!

And in an honest answer to the 'if you came to Ireland' question......

Well yes they would!!!!!!!!!

If you think 'little Englanders' are insular, you should try Ireland for a while!!
Crystal clear yogi, I have been to Ireland twice but not in a Cruiser, once in a Vauxhall Viva and once in a Toyota Supra, the Viva raised no eyebrows at all but the Supra, well there were actually people stopping and staring, the landlady of a B&B we were at explained why.
Yes roof tents are liable to damage I have a Maggiolina Airtop and the shell is quite tough, it did get a dent in the North Wales laning trip before Bens Lincomb gathering but the warm sun Saturday afternoon popped it out, it has also been used as a tree slider with no damage.

The main disadvantage in poorer countries is being recognized as a "foreigner".

I've been here in Romania for 12 years now, and at weekends I dress far from blingy, trust me. Nevertheless, I can walk into a shop I've never been in before, and without opening my mouth, I've been greeted with "hello" not the customary "servis" or "buna ziua" that a Romanian would normally get.

They know, somehow, it's instinctive. They may ask if I'm American or Canadian, but they know I'm not Romanian without asking. It's quite uncanny.

Of course, once you open your mouth in any language, you only confirm what they know already!

The consequences can be higher prices, but generally shop keepers are very honest.

Doing a deal with an individual is the biggest risk of being ripped off, they know you have some money and the price will be higher than for a local. Still, even saying that, it's generally less than you could get in the UK, especially the labour element of it.

an airbeam won't help you chas. I was so shagged out trying to put mine up I had to get my 14 year old to finish off!!

best bet I reckon, and what I lust after, is an Oz tent but the price is out of range for me sadly.

Clive, save Chas struggling, my small Airtop measures 2140 mm long, 1260 mm wide if that helps.

Andy

Back