Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noise when shifting into Reverse.

Danny Fecteau

Country Flag
united_states
If I shift from park into reverse before my vehicle is well warmed up it makes a noise like a mallet hitting a anvil. It's not as loud but mechanical ping. If I go into neutral and then into reverse it is ok. If I let it warm up it is ok it seems. Any ideas? Is this just a case of it being what it is or does anyone think there is more to this? I am in Vermont and it is an automatic with 63k miles on it. Current parking is on flat surface in garage. Sat in a garage for 7-8 years before I got it this year. Thanks, Dan

With the pinging noise it is probably in your drive shaft. Get your universal joints checked.

If you can record the noise the experts may have more input :)

I've had a noise like this on the odd occasion when driving if it changes gear while the engine is decreasing in revs. It's been there 14 years since I bought it and it had a replacement transfer box fitted not long before I bought it. I know there's a little backlash in the whole drivetrain, and it's probably that but I often wonder how much is acceptable?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had a noise like this on the odd occasion when driving if it changes gear while the engine is decreasing in revs. It's been there 14 years since I bought it and it had a replacement transfer box fitted not long before I bought it. I know there's a little backlash in the whole drivetrain, and it's probably that but I often wonder how much is acceptable?

Mine does jamb a little when you let off the gas and it downshifts but I think it is normal. The ping noise got me because it is just a loud noise that is just odd.

Mine does jamb a little when you let off the gas and it downshifts but I think it is normal. The ping noise got me because it is just a loud noise that is just odd.
Mine's only once in a while but it does ping on the odd occasion. Glad it's not just mine and that you consider it normal as I have grown to.

If you back off just before it changes from 1st to 2nd, theres usually a thump. Been there since new on mine.

But the OP sounds more like its the park/lock mechanism releasing, like when pulling out of park on a hill.

I’m with Grant on the “ping” sound, u/j wear or dried out u/j needle bearings send a ping through the propshaft, it rings like a bell, auto or manual, makes no difference.
When greasing, look for fresh grease at all 4 bearings on each of the 4 u/js. Even then, you can have a dry bearing, it’s worth having them checked/replaced, they’re not too expensive.
You have low mileage, but standing for years is the worst thing for bearings like this, the grease goes hard and prevents the fresh grease from getting to the needles.

I recorded it this morning. I have an iPhone and it won't let me load it. I can email. It's only 10 seconds so it can't be that big of a file.

It sounds less like a prop “ping” in the recording Danny, but I can’t advise what it may be otherwise, sorry.

Yes I had the same problem once. Turns out it was my grannys car getting squashed against the wheelie bin. Diagnosis was easy because mines a manual.

It sounds less like a prop “ping” in the recording Danny, but I can’t advise what it may be otherwise, sorry.
I feel the same. But it has to be something shifting.

If you can get somebody who trusts you and knows what to look for to lie under it while you absolutely hold it solid on the brakes (or even tie it to something solid if you want extra reassurance) then shift from reverse to drive repeatedly and see where the noise is coming from and which bits move most, you should be able to trace it quite quickly.

Just don't run them over, it gets more difficult getting volunteers…:shifty:

Back