Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy thrust bearing ??

James Lampard

I have recently bought a 2001 Colorado d4d and am very pleased with it , I bought it from a reputable Mitsubishi main dealer that had taken it on p/ex ,
They replaced the clutch, flywheel and thrust bearing as part of the deal as the clutch was starting to slip - I wanted them to fit an original Toyota kit, but they fitted a genuine flywheel and oem clutch kit as they said that would be of equal quality we I was happy with that
However now after 5 or 6 hundred miles there is an annoying squeak that disappears with pressure on the clutch even a tiny amount is enough
From past experience that is the thrust bearing ,
My local mechanic thinks that is the case but even with an aftermarket item that is remarkabley soon to fail
Also the clutch although easy and smooth to opperate does tend to thump a bit unless let out carefully
Does anyone have any advice or similar experience ?
If I go down the route of a new thrust bearing is it worth replacing the pressure plate at the same time with either a genuine or a uprated plate if there is one someone could recommend
Thanks for advice in advance ! !!

Cheers Jim

Isn't the main dealer where you bought it from going to fix it?

If the squeak goes with pressure on the pedal, then it isn't the bearing. Under normal load conditions i.e. actually driving, a "noisy" release bearing is quiet because it isn't been used. It will only make a noise when you depress the pedal. This could be because the nose or spigot ( the extension the bearing is mounted on ) or the release fork had not been properly cleaned and lubricated.

Either way it doesn't matter. The dealer fitted a new clutch and there must be a warranty on it and that must include the labour to rectify any problems.

Roger

Thanks everyone ! The dealer is happy to have it back in and do whatever necessary to rectify the fault - which is great , shame they are 140 miles away and want it for a couple of days !!!!
Out of interest should I consider paying the extra and having a genuine clutch kit fitted whilst it's apart ??
Also one theory roughtrax 4x4 spares had whilst I was pricing one up was despite being hydraulic there is also adjustment which very few garages seem to know about and therefore the thust bearings can end up permantly engaged or just catching the pressure plate especially if they had been adjust out to the max
Cheers Jim

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How much extra are they asking you to pay Jim?

Thanks everyone ! The dealer is happy to have it back in and do whatever necessary to rectify the fault - which is great , shame they are 140 miles away and want it for a couple of days !!!!
Out of interest should I consider paying the extra and having a genuine clutch kit fitted whilst it's apart ??
Also one theory roughtrax 4x4 spares had whilst I was pricing one up was despite being hydraulic there is also adjustment which very few garages seem to know about and therefore the thust bearings can end up permantly engaged or just catching the pressure plate especially if they had been adjust out to the max
Cheers Jim

Toyota do not make clutches. Somewhere in Japan is a company that makes clutches for lots of companies, one of which is Toyota. Because Toyota buy millions of clutches, the manufacturer will happily stick Toyota's name on each clutch. As long as the dealer will warrant the clutch he fits, why pay Toyota prices for something they didn't even make?

Hydraulic clutches are not adjustable as such but the pedal needs to be set to a specific position relative to the floor. Saying that I set mine up to suit my seat height and leg length and I don't have any problems with odd noises or anything else. Mechanics will invariably pick a non existent fault to either confuse the owner or justify a mistake they have made.

Roger

Aisin is the maker of the genuine part isn't it? Like Denso for electrical?

Toyota now do a range of authorised pattern parts called Optifit. Very often quite reasonable prices. I get their wipers and brake pads etc.

I have this exact same issue, an intermittent chirp when driving and when I put slight pressure on the clutch it goes. I have learned to live with it until I need a new clutch but I would like to know the cause of it also.

Back