Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

not a toyota but need help

silvercruiser

Hello my dad owns a td5 disco and has had the problem of the head cracking and diesel getting in the engine oil. he bought a new head and since its been put on it has been really sluggish, it has been to three different places and live checked etc but all is checking out OK.

So he phoned the place he bought the head from and they took it in and have had it apart and they are now saying it's got bent con rods but it was running fine before the head cracked ( the only problem being diesel getting to the oil) it starts fine and sounds as it should so why would they think its got bent con rods?

any help appreciated

Joe
p.s they said if its a dodgy head they would replace and pay for all the work but if they are trying to find something else to worm out i do not know.

If your dad lives in the midlands I can tell him where to take it but if he's down your way that's not going to be much use! Don't know much about them myself but I'd wonder about the cam belt or chain timing having been wrong after the head job.

I'd bet on timing out. Bent conrods are unlikely to cause a loss of power unless they were that badly bent that the engine would also sound like it was filled with rocks. Alternatively make sure the turbo is actually spinning up, maybe they left off the connection from the sensor to the wastegate and the wastegate is cutting in all the time. Could also be air leak on the inlet manifold but I would still bet on the Timing.

Hello and thanks for the replies the timing has been checked at every place and is spot on. i will not name any places but the head was bought from a well known engineering firm that specializes in land rover heads and when our local garage did the work my dad asked if there was any damage to the bottom end and all checked out good no damage to the pistons etc.

It has been a long running problem, they told us to do loads of miles as it needed to re learn itself etc but it always stayed the same then they gave in and said bring it to our preferred garage they said they would have it for three days and sort it.

well after 2 weeks they still have the car and have swapped everything about but it is still down on power. So they finally took the head off and now no.1 piston has deterioration as if its being eaten away and they are saying the con rods are bent.

I'm not a mechanic but to me if a piston is looking that way i would think it poor combustion or am i wrong? so to me it still looks like a fault with the head or do they have something with this bent con rod theory.

Joe

Did the injectors go back in the right order? With TD5s you need to program the ecu with the injector S/N number for them to work right.

Also it has been known for TD5 injectors to "drill" the pistons!!

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Did the injectors go back in the right order? With TD5s you need to program the ecu with the injector S/N number for them to work right.

Also it has been known for TD5 injectors to "drill" the pistons!!

Paul

Hello Paul yes injectors went in the correct order.

ok thanks but it seems strange its only doing it on no.1 piston.

Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry just to add i have also spoken to td5 alive and he immediately told me to speak to to the head supplier as he reckons its happened before and he has swapped the head for a used genuine head and it got all the power back. but obviously they denied this

Joe

Right I went down there today with my dad and took a depth gauge and it does seem that no.1 piston has a problem it has definitely got too warm and some of the piston has been melted away from either poor spray pattern or bad combustion and also at tdc it is twenty four thou down from the top of the block and the others protrude about twelve thou so something is not right so i will be transporting it back from the garage and taking a look at the bottom end as they want silly money to put it right.

Joe

Back