Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Now this is a rust problem

Just think in a couple of years he'll have to do that all again :lol:

Impressive

But

Why would you bother?

The money and time that took you could prob buy a clean one .......

Then again its a range rover

prob all rusty now

Normally not worth it, but good csk models can be quite sought after

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What surprises me most is that it looked fine before he removed the panels :shock:

Rob said:
What surprises me most is that it looked fine before he removed the panels :shock:
and was driven home :shock: Puts our odd bits of rust into perspective!

That's pretty typical for all Land Rovers models (except thr Freeloader) the birmabright body panels make the m appear fine on the surface but all of the inner wings, sills, floors etc are mild steel (with very poor rust proofing).

This is the reason I now own a Land Cruiser :thumbup:

It needs a bumper sticker, "in rust we trust".

but that is one nice rebuild, lots of work done and a nicely individual car now.

Absolutely beautiful job, but you have to be dedicated.

I take my hat off to this guy and the many like him. It's impossible to justify the bloody hard work and heartbreak of it all otherwise.

It reminds me of the old days as a 17 - 25 year old, gas welding almost all of the leyland & associates' cars. My old A30, endless 1100's, Minis, Allegros, Maxis, and oh my word MG's especially the MGBGT. All rust buckets! The cuts, burns and 1,000's of hours with a sheet folder and tinsnips!

I loved every minute of it, but the hours spent on these old cars wasn't worth it financially. I don't have photo's any more but the original paint on my old black 1955 A30 shone like a dollar! Once the A40 came along, the downhill slide just got steeper and never stopped until the UK gave up manufacturing altogether.

Very sad for me, I was always a "Buy British" advocate until I realised what piles of junk we were making.

There's a couple of rust spots on my HJ80, but for an 18 year old it doesn't compare with those old rust buckets. My friend's father's Triumph Toledo had the wings replaced under the 12 month warranty! Rusted so you could get your hand through!

Those were supposed to be the good old days!

Back to the RR CSK restorer. He must be very proud of himself and his 'new' car, I'm certainly proud of him. Keep up the good work and enjoy!

Regardless of whether it's a RR, Leyland, Austin or MG - that guy has done a superb job. :cool: :thumbup:

It would have seriously taxed my patience (let alone my wallet) doing something like that. He's ended up with a car he likes (loves?) and he knows that it's been restored properly. I hope it gives him many miles/years of happy motoring.

P.S. I've always had a soft spot for those classic RRs - though not enough to actually go and buy one.

Back