Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

O/D light flashing Eh?

I almost posted Waaaay haaaay :thumbup: :thumbup:

But then realised that it would be in poor taste. So I didn't. :roll:

Ignition on but not running.

In the diagnostic port under the bonnet, take 6" of wire bared at each end and stick it into ports E1 and Tt - the ports are written in the lid but from top left it 1st row N03 and bottom row No 5 of the multi blocks. Read the code on the OD light. You get a series of flashes and then a break - count until it clearly repeats. Something like 11111__11__111__11111__11__111 which would be 5.2.3 yes?

Let me know what the code is and I'll look it up.

To clear it, pull the DOME fuse under the bonnet for 10 secs.

Chris

Yep cheers for not rubbing it in... :lol:

Well I got an error code of 41

Based upon the info you shared (thanks again!)

Its the "Throttle position sensor circuitry"...

Best case: harness / loose connection
Worst case: ECT ECU or Engine ECU...

I'll need to have a rummage through the FSM's as I haven't got a clue where to look for these!

I would clear the code and go for another drive and see if the fault comes back. Always just worth a go to see if it's recurring or simply a hiccup. Unlikely to be the ECU as that's not what code 41 says. It's confined to the sensor or the wire to it.

Chris

Cleared code and error is still there.

I presume the TPS is the black oval sensor on top of the IP? Well I recently moved / meddled in that area (although I didn't disconnect).. so if I'm right, then hopefully its just another disturbed cable. :pray:

That's the jobbie. You can move it, but not much. It's probably out of spec and sending some conflicting signal. It should be marked with paint.

Chris

I agree - I have disturbed it and I did try to put it back where it was :roll:

Is there a procedure to realign everything? (I'm still reading through the FSM etc.. )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry that's way above my pay-grade. If I can't fix it, I tend not to touch it. :whistle:

There has to be a procedure.

Chris

:roll:

I guess I should have expected that...

But - at least I can now drive it to a garage to fix it without leaving a trail of diesel behind me... Slowly, but it does drive.

41 is severed throttle position sensor wire - could you have just not reconnected it?

The TPS is the black thing on the front of the pump.

A common problem is not putting the TPS back on properly - you need to make sure it engages properly with the throttle arm - you need to lower it into place and then turn it about 30-40 degrees to line up the screws.

There is a procedure for setting the TPS properly in the manual - it can make big difference to gear changes so worth doing properly.

Thanks Julian, I'll give that a check.

Its definitely reconnected... but quite possible I've not aligned it correctly..

I was coming to the conclusion that it may not be zero'd correctly - would this show the same error?

As for the FSM setting's is this just a case of putting a voltmeter between the diagnosis pins (same one's I linked earlier to get the code) and adjusting the TPS to read the correct voltage?

Thanks for the help.

There are a couple of ways to do it - I made up a loom that plugs in to the TPS loom by the throttle linkage and plugs into my voltmeter and then I just turn on the ignition and measure the voltage at max throttle position. The readings are slightly different for 12 valve and 24 valve autos, but works well and can make a massive difference if not correctly set.

Shame your not closer! I think i've found the sections within the FSM but I'm not clear on how do you 'adjust' the TPS - is it by limiting the max / min throttle position, using the two long M6 bolts on either side of the IP?

Not sure what is going on but seem have had a rush of sailing types from Cowes, Bembridge, Lymington and Southamptom recently - must be LC heaven down there :)

If you go through the instructions to set TPS as per the diagnostic section of the A442 manual you are aiming for a reading of .60v on the multimeter (unless 24v) - you need to undo the two phillips screws holding the sensor in place and then rotate it to change the setting - the rear screw is a pain to get to but doable.

Julian Voelcker said:
Not sure what is going on but seem have had a rush of sailing types from Cowes, Bembridge, Lymington and Southamptom recently - must be LC heaven down there :)

If you go through the instructions to set TPS as per the diagnostic section of the A442 manual you are aiming for a reading of .60v on the multimeter (unless 24v) - you need to undo the two phillips screws holding the sensor in place and then rotate it to change the setting - the rear screw is a pain to get to but doable.

Not seen many down here... but sounds like you need to start offering a mobile service ;)

re the TPS - I'm guessing its a not-refitted-correctly rather than meddled-with-its-setting problem ... as I've not touched those screws.

But considering I now know where to look I'll see what voltage I get and if out I'll tweak accordingly.

Thanks again!

Back