Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off to Wales on the 28th until the 2nd of April

warrenpfo

As the topic suggests the SWAMBO and I have decided to pack the bags and head to Wales for some 4x4 action and to throw Mt Snowdon in on one day as well.

The thoughts so far are to finish work on Thursday pack up and head off straight up to Snowdon. Spend the night somewhere, back of the car, camp, b&b for the night. Hit Snowdon on Friday as it will be the quietest day of the long weekend with people watching the royal wedding.

After half a day on the mountain (take the train up and maybe walk back down or train down) head off and either do a few lanes up that way that day and spend the night on the trail and then start to head back down south doing lanes along the way until Monday afternoon then head home.

Can anyone recommend a few good lanes in the Snowdon area and then a few good lanes heading back down south? I am more than happy to pick up a few paper maps and take a look but if you could advise me to which are the best maps to get that would be great as I don’t want to get the whole of Wales on paper (I think) as it may get expensive.

Once I have the maps I am happy to spend an hour or 2 in a pub with a black marker and a few beers having a chat with anyone who can help put a good trip together. I am also very happy to either be joined or join fellow cruiser members if they are in the area for a spot of lanning.

SWAMBO and I are keen to spend the evenings on the trail camping or sleeping in the back of the truck.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with the laning side, but if you are going straight to the Snowdon area there is a very good Forestry Commission site a mile or two outside of Beddgelert, on the left hand side :think: close to Snowdon :thumbup: I can't remember precisely the road it's on :oops: possibly the A498 or the A4805, I used to use it when camping up in North Wales a long time ago, it's got all the facilities necessary.

There's a couple of lanes around Betws-y-coed I know of - I'll dig some bits out for you & try to advise some maps.

If you would like me to I'd be happy to mark OS Landranger 1:50,000 scale maps numbers 147 & 160 with the routes of the rescent trip that I did to South Wales. On map 147 I can mark you up a 100 mile 50/50 on/off road 9 hour route & map 160 a 5/6 hour route taking in Sarn Helen on the Brecon Beacons (If it's still open, as it was due to go to court for closure on the 7th).

Just post the maps to me with a pre paid return envelope enclosed I'll mark 'em up for you & chuck 'em back to you :D :thumbup:

We had discussed going up north on our rescent trip but two hour drive the wrong way from our base camp :( Not ever done these two lanes/areas but the two to look out for are Happy Valley & Horse shoe pass (close to Snowdon I believe) can't comment on theses as they were just a couple that we were keeping in our back pocket in case we had a chance to do them, maybe someone else could comment upon their current status & position.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10572

http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51 ... il%202011/

http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51 ... %20videos/

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maps are on order from the bay as they are only £6 so should be with me tomorrow or Monday if there are any other maps to get do let me know.

Nope I have a Garmin so have Mapsource but if you send me the MM I can open it with GPS Utility and convert it to a GPX which I can then upload on my Garmin.

Thank you for the routes Gav if anyone else has and other routes in Wales in electronic format i would really like to see them so i can put a trip together. The more routes the better.

Thank you

Things are coming together and i have found this site and a pdf with some trail on which i cant work out how to upload but the link is on the page below. I wondered if anyone was going to be in the area over the Royal wedding weekend to maybe have a go at a few once i have plotted them on the map.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.p ... 617&page=2

having had a bit of a look around there seems to be plents of trails in the area.

How about this one:

http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/73129

I like the little program they use if you hit map view it plays the track with altitude and gives you a good view. May look into doing this for our Welsh trip

Right the plan so far.

Leave Thursday arrive in Norf Wales around 12ish and find a place to sleep the night.
Head off to do Mt Snowdon on Friday or Saturday and do a few lanes the other day.

Head down South maybe doing a lane or two on Saturday and find a place to sleep the night ready to do Jon's infamous Happy Valley Trail http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8061&hilit=bomber&start=50 with a night on the trail and then head home on Monday some time.

If anyone wants to join.

We're going to be on Anglesey all week but I don't know if this will fit in :-( Drop your mobile on a pm just in case Warren...

Apart from those going to be in the area whose numbers I have are there any other numbers I should carry for Wales apart from the police.

999 emergency
101 non emergency but an emergency
000 Fire/Police

Right all we are off.

If anyone wants to get hold of me for a day on the lanes please do I seem to have hooked up for Saturday with some of the chaps from the Hilux Surf Forum which should be some fun.

Will check emails and mobile is OH 7 five 2 five seven 45 ate seven 8

Trip report to follow..........

Many lessons learnt...

IMG_0922.jpg

Back