Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Drain Valve

fridayman

Garage
Has anyone fitted one of these?

I have searched for failures online, but it seems that with the hose clip fitted it is quite a good bit of kit.

Is this to replace the drain plug you would normally undo with a spanner?

I think Chris may have stuck similar valves on his 90 (not sure if he's done the same on his 80?). I'm sure they make draining a little easier and less messy - just make sure the valve can't be knocked off when scraping over rocks ;) Making a mess will be the least of your worries if that happens :o

Cheers,

I find the mess made whilst taking the drain plug out is rarely equal to that made by undoing the filter :lol: £20 - 35 that could be spent on diesel :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+£14 to £20 for the hose to attached to the Diff Lock one, they are having a laugh :shock:

Dave Burgess said:
I find the mess made whilst taking the drain plug out is rarely equal to that made by undoing the filter.
Have a look at the "filter-cup" under the oil filter of the 100. Neat. No spill.

I had the diff lock one. Liked it a lot, but it's in a very exposed place on the 80 so I haven't fitted it. When I had the sump off to do the BEBs, I though about welding a shroud on to protect the valve. But couldn't be bothered in the end. It was good, and handy if you have a ten litre sump! But now I have a 20 litre oil catch pan, so I don't need to worry about spilling the foul stuff all over the drive when trying to get it into various buckets.

C

I've got the difflock ones fitted on my 70 and 80 series and it certainly makes changing the oil a less messy affair.

The only downside is the rate of flow is a bit slow but apart from that works as advertised.

Cheers

Richard

After pulling up to my driveway and seeing the oil/cement (... like they do on race tracks...) combo patch I went ahead and ordered the Quickvalve unit with extended nipple and locking ring. Will let you know how I get on with it.

I had a go at fitting this valve yesterday while I was doing an oil change. I hand tightened it first then nipped it up with the torque wrench to the original sump plug torque specs. I could feel it tighteneing up and then suddenly it got a lot easier... oh-oh! I slowly pulled on the torque wrench praying that it would get tight again, but after about 3 complete revolutions the profanity was flowing freely and with passion :doh: :evil: It must have been really funny to the people walking their dogs who couldn't see me under the truck, but could hear lots of "£$^&$%£!"$!^"$^*£%^*£%!"£$¬!$^£^&&£&$"*£%!!!!!!!!!^&£$%^*$^&($!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After about 10 minutes of just lying there cursing I undid the valve again and had a visual confirmation of my fears when I pulled the little rings of metal from the screw thread. Except they were brass!? It was the quick drain plug that had stripped, not the sump :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Exactly the same happened to me. I complained bitterly and they sent me a replacement one in steel. I spoke at length to the guy who makes them and finally I think I convinced him that I was ham fisted loon who'd just jagged it up too tight. I didn't fit it to the 80 as I think it's a bit exposed. When I had the sump off doing the BEBs, I nearly welded a protective shroud around the bung hole so that I could fit it. Then I just bought a much bigger oil catch pan!

Chris

How well do these work with a bash plate? My plates (ASFIR) have a pretty small hole for the plug. Enough to get a socket in and drain it without hitting the plate but I doubt I would get to any form of tap.

Do they come with electric solanoids? :D

I'm using the original plug again after stripping half the thread on the drain valve. After quite a bit of dialogue with the UK distributor they decided that they did not have a solution for me and promptly refunded my payment. I must add that their customer service was excellent throughout and if they had a suitable product I would not hesitate to buy one again.

BTW it should work with a bash plate if you can get a socket in there - worst case is that you may need to remove the bash plate for installation of the valve.

Back