Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil level increase update

joinerman

Garage
Well we managed to change the front seal on the pump without removing said pump, removed timing cover & after an almighty fight got the drive gear for the pump off, pulled old seal out & in with the new one, put everything back together & no need to do injection timing ,change oil again.
NOW something strange is going on, iv'e been checking the oil level every day with the lc parked in the same place & 3 or 4 hours after use, sometimes the level is a 1/4 of an inch above the F & sometimes it's a 1/4 below the F.
What's the chances of a faulty valve in the oil filter sometimes letting the full contents back into the sump giving a high reading.
good news is it's not filling the sump with diesel anymore.

Well done fella. Never heard of filter doing that. You could change the filter to see if that eliminated the problem?

Is it safe to turn back on the sniff screen on my iPad yet? ;)

Do you always check the oil with the oil filler cap removed? This may affect the oil level. Also do you use genuine oil filters?

Yes Rob, ALWAYS use genuine filters & always check level with the filler cap on.

Don't quote me but I'm sure the filter does not have a valve in it
Most engines have a bypass valve (don't Quote me on Toyota)
It would work if the filter was blocked or a restriction or high oil pressure

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a similar weird increase and loss of oil and I still haven't figured it out. Its as if some oil sometimes gets trapped somewhere and you get a lower reading on the dipstick and then later reappears :?

One thing that helps a lot is removing the oil filler cap when measuring the oil level as it sometimes is higher after removing.

Rob said:
Do you always check the oil with the oil filler cap removed? This may affect the oil level.
Does it also make a difference which hand you pull the dipstick out with :doh:

Rob said:
One thing that helps a lot is removing the oil filler cap when measuring the oil level as it sometimes is higher after removing.
Is that after you've been in the house and had one of those 'special' smokes :whistle:

Paul very funny, do you measure the oil right after you turn the engine off? I thought not but if you do then measure it again in the morning. You will almost certainly find an increase in oil level as the oil drains back into the sump overnight. And have you ever held some water in a straw with your thumb over the top and wondered why it all doesn't come out the bottom? Going by your remarks I can only assume you haven't. If you remove your thumb from the top the water will all fall out. The same happens with the oil filler cap, by removing it it will equalise the air at negative pressure (relative to atmospheric and caused by the weight of any trapped oil) which in turn will release this trapped oil to the sump and raise the apparent oil level. :ugeek:

I have never found this to be much of an issue on other cars but there is something about the design of the 1H engine that makes it more difficult to get accurate oil level readings, it might just be the 1HD-FT I don't know.

Rob said:
.... by removing it it will equalise the air at negative pressure (relative to atmospheric and caused by the weight of any trapped oil) which in turn will release this trapped oil to the sump and raise the apparent oil level.

Now now Rob... looks like someone has ran off with your sense of humour :doh:

I hate to tell you this but... if taking the oil filler cap off makes a difference to your level then I suggest you have a problem with your crankcase breather ;)

Rob, These engines are open vent, so removing the filler cap will make no difference, the oil level can alter slightly depending on where the crank stops.

Bat21 said:

Quite possibly :oops: but remember sarcasm does not come across easily on forums

Bat21 said:
I hate to tell you this but... if taking the oil filler cap off makes a difference to your level then I suggest you have a problem with your crankcase breather ;)
Dave Docwra said:
Rob, These engines are open vent, so removing the filler cap will make no difference, the oil level can alter slightly depending on where the crank stops.

I know a thing or 2 about behaviour of fluids but I know little about engine lubrication systems, if my oil level is affected by the removing the oil filler cap then what should I check?

Rob said:
Bat21 said:

Quite possibly :oops: but remember sarcasm does not come across easily on forums
Sorry Rob I didn't mean to sound sarcastic :oops: I was just taking the mick...

Rob said:
I know a thing or 2 about behaviour of fluids but I know little about engine lubrication systems, if my oil level is affected by the removing the oil filler cap then what should I check?
Rob are you sure about this?

With the engine cold (leave over night if possible), check your oil level. Then remove your filler cap and leave for an hour and recheck the level. I'll be amazed if removing the cap has made any difference to the level :thumbup:

If I leave if overnight then it makes no difference at all, but if I check the oil level within an hour of using the car it usually makes a difference. The way I see it is if you remove the oil filler cap you don't have to wait until the next day to get an accurate reading. Is this normal? Like I said never come across this in other cars, usually wait half an hour or so and you always get an accurate reading but not with my 80.

Bat21 said:
Sorry Rob I didn't mean to sound sarcastic :oops: I was just taking the mick...
Don't worry about it, I shouldn't of come done so hard on you.

Rob you're never going to get an acurate reading of the oil level of any engine unless it is stone cold.

There are many contributing factors involved that can affect the level of a hot vs cold engine/oil, I only ever check my oil in the mornigng before the first startup.

Back