Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK now have this LJ71

zooey

Country Flag
canada
I have a manual coming in the mail as I am told I share a Hilux engine. But any manual on the rest is all Japanese? Anyone here know the RHD LJ71?

Looks to me like instrument cluster is much like Hilux Surf but not totally. I know I am shooting in the dark here. I looked at the manuals out of Aussieland (Ellery)...but do not seem to cover the mechanics backwards from the engine, electrics.

I suppose I am fishing in the dark.

Have not been ignoring. I have hundreds of links trying to track down manuals and info on this vehicle. Now have to sort through all that applies.

I now read that this tiny sewing maching turbo charged diesels have problems with abuse. So looking at flushing out and going to "waterless coolant". Am looking at a rebuild thread on the slightly longer version LJ78 . Have more info downloads. But for the minute I am "skinning" the interior of my Prado so that 3 idiot dogs do no damage. So I am covering every interior part and using the cargo hooks to keep their idiot claws on the floor instead of shredding the interior with excitement at going to the beach. I have so many links. I do not know, as I have not had time, I do not know what is exactly online here. But I have amalgamated links on much stuff.

I will post my girly refit/dog-proof pictures. I know you guys eat and drink mods...I have to keep mine stock to get about $1000/yr. off insurance. But I think I can optimize the care of the engine so nothing blows up.

Anyone tried this

Hello Zooey,I was wondering where your beach is.Is at a lake or is it on the sea coast.l ask because I was talking to a Canuck girl and her beach was on Lake Superior.I guess in NZ when we go to the beach we always think of the sea coast.
By the way did you look at the clubs service manuals for the hilux?Pat

Hello Zooey,I was wondering where your beach is.Is at a lake or is it on the sea coast.l ask because I was talking to a Canuck girl and her beach was on Lake Superior.I guess in NZ when we go to the beach we always think of the sea coast.

I HAVE Looked at service manuals available here ( I think but will again)....I bought a Hilux manual that applies to 2L TE engine and more...so can extrapolate some stuff. I finally found a download of an Owner's scanned manual for similar models from landcruiser parts website UK. Also downloaded another manual from them. The Owner's scanned manual has really helped with the basics of what the buttons and 4wd system means....I have the hub lock button and 4H on the dash. Has helped for my understanding of most but not all of the LJ71 dash lights and warning lights. Most but not all. I have been spending the last month making an artificial "skin" for the back of the Cruiser to protect the original from my 3 dogs. I have encased everything to preserve the original from any harm. Spent the time looking for simple manuals etc. with the idea of keeping this in good shape and understanding the vehicle. I knew nothing about this Cruiser and not know a bit more.

I took it today, for the first time, out the highway to get it over 80 km/hr. to see how it shifts and sounds. RPM went just over 2000 before the Overdrive kicked in. Revs never went much higher and the turbo only kicked in sporadically when going up he gears. This is the first time I actually drove it for any time. Gentle engine that will never win a race BUT that is not why I bought it. I read, since buying, tales of 2L-TE engines blowing heads? Mostly I THINK, due to abuse of what the engine was meant to do. I have no intention of fabricating mods etc. We will keep this absolutely stock and not try to overtax it's power. I LIKE EVERYTHING I see so far. I am woman; been a professional driver off-on in working life. I am no mechanic but I do know driving "by the seat of my pants". I feel how the vehicle is operating. This Cruiser is great. Steering, brakes, tranny, engine seem just "ducky". Now I will load the pups in Wednesday and take a cruise down to the vets and back...to see if they destroy my efforts to keep them civilized in behavior....and also to give it a run down the highway. I am looking forward to actually driving my Prado. (Also need to slip it into 4WD for the suggested 10 miles/month to keep the hubs lubed). I am thrilled with everything.

I know most Cruiser owners are off-roaders and do lots of modifications on vehicles. We intend to keep ours original. Far as I can see there are not that many of these still running, and running in original condition with NO RUST...This Prado is very close to spotless and undamaged inside or out.. bit of vinyl repair inside. Bit of paint touchup I have to do. Bit of protecting I need to do on all the lights/signals to prevent rock chips. I plan to run some of the "film" around the lights, door edges, hood etc.

I get Collector's insurance here which makes my cost so little per month...I can afford to bank for import parts as due.

Pat: I live on Haida Gwaii in BC Canada. Beach here is ocean front. We have exactly one stop light on the entire islands. No traffic. Many, many km. of logging roads that ultimately lead to the wild west coast facing Pacific.

OK ONE dumb question that maybe someone can affirm. My downloaded manual is close but not precise for this LJ71. I have 2 warning lights by the PRNDL and 4WD shifter....one says ATP and the other is ATF. (I am assuming they monitor Tranny fluid levels and pressure). Am I correct?

Dumb question #2? I have a rotational "dial" by the steering wheel that is missing a knob/identifier....I think is either to increase rev when engine is cold....or controls dashboard lighting? I think RPM. If so I need a knob that fits. I am going to go the distance to completely restore/maintain this Prado. I am learning that they are rare.

I AM READING through a thread at Expedition Portal (started years ago) where they appear to be restoring my Prado twin but the longer version. It is a 1991 LJ78 looks like. But they are doing mods whereas I am preserving original.

Thanks Pat. I did look at the available manuals here but they mostly appear to be for other engines. KZ? not the 2LTE. I am getting quite the collection of manuals though. I can find common ground with many but nothing that is a dedicated LJ71 2LTE. Japanese import guy here says they are only available in Japanese. Guess I could learn the language, in order to decipher the existing labels inside...labels that explain 4WD and various other functions. But for now I am inferring.

Back