Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old Cape Town from 60's and 70's

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I lived in Cape Town for just about 12 years.

I have found some pictures on the 'net that reminded me about how it "used" to look.
Sadly when I go back on holidays now, it is a far cry.
I am not sure there has been any progress, and I would probably sadly have to say, there has been backward steps taken some where.
Newlands Pool,
I lived here in the summer, almost every day, I am sure I grew flippers and gills.
To the far right you can just make out the dive pool.
6 meters deep. We used to throw coins in, and dive down from the edge, after half a dozen retrievals, ear ache would begin.
The high board, didn't look high from the ground, but when you walk out ready to dive, it first sure seemed a whole different ball game
NewlandsPool.jpg

Muizenberg beach, what can I say, again, when I wasn't at Newlands, I was here.
Muizenberg1969.jpg

How about being dragged my your mum around Grand parade, when all you wanted to do was swim.This not us, but representative.
GrandParade.jpg

Grandparade1985.jpg

I remember when my parents first took us on a drive around Chapmans peak, I remember my mum screaming, and my dad acting as cool as ever.
Chapmanspeak1968.jpg

How about the Cape Town station, with the full size steam trains on display, it was so beautiful in the late sixties. I was last there a few years ago, and so depressing with all the tit-tat Vodafone stalls making the concourse look so scruffy.
CapeTownstation1980.jpg

Adderley Street, my mum used to work in Stutterfords, just to the left of Cuthberts, (see next) I remember the many escalators, they were systematically laid out, up - down - up - down, however in them days, Adderley Street was a street to be proud of, whoever has seen it recently will know.
AdderleyStreet1979a.jpg

AdderleyStreet1979.jpg

Gra,.

Back