Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old man emu steering damper

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Is anyone running an old man emu steering damper?

Is the above better or OEM? Any help would be great.

I have one on my 80, but as it replaced an OEM damper that was leaking when I bought the truck, I can't comment whether it's an improvement on the OEM damper.

It's lasted 7 years so far without defect, with ample use and abuse for 120k kms, so OME products get my approval (for whatever that's worth):lol:

Which is actually a pretty good recommendation because 120k kms on Romanian roads is a LOT more abuse than 120kms on UK roads from what I've seen of them!!

Which is actually a pretty good recommendation because 120k kms on Romanian roads is a LOT more abuse than 120kms on UK roads from what I've seen of them!!

You're not wrong, but my regular mileage is on a well maintained route, otherwise it's in town. The best one is the missing manhole covers! Hitting them at speed will pitch a regular car skywards or simply rip off the wheel and suspension! Plenty of examples on utube!

My 80 just bounces over them, the tyre is to big to go down into the hole! :icon-biggrin:

I have one on my 80, but as it replaced an OEM damper that was leaking when I bought the truck, I can't comment whether it's an improvement on the OEM damper.

It's lasted 7 years so far without defect, with ample use and abuse for 120k kms, so OME products get my approval (for whatever that's worth):lol:

Same same, my OEM was leaking and replacer with OME seems to be working fine but as with Clive I can't compare.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Replaced OEM with OME on my 80 a couple of months ago, the old one wasn't leaking but the improvement is substantial

Yes, I saw a few of them! An interesting obstacle!!

The attached picture though is of a road in Ukraine made out of rocks laid like old fashioned cobbles, but on closer inspection they are just random rocks!! This road was like this for 30km, except for about 2km where it (thankfully) was dirt.

IMG_0922.jpg Ok so the picture of this bridge loaded but for some reason the other one won't?

Last edited:
Karl, I actually drove without one just to see the effect of my OEM knackered one and the new Iron Man one. Well, if yours fell off whilst you were driving you'd never know. Under normal conditions in my view they do nothing. They are there to prevent kick back through the steering wheel when you hit something that tries to yank one wheel. They don't damp the steering as such, they are a shock absorber for impact. To judge whether an OME one is any good, you'd have to batter some kerbs with your near side wheel to be able to tell.

C

Karl, I actually drove without one just to see the effect of my OEM knackered one and the new Iron Man one. Well, if yours fell off whilst you were driving you'd never know. Under normal conditions in my view they do nothing. They are there to prevent kick back through the steering wheel when you hit something that tries to yank one wheel. They don't damp the steering as such, they are a shock absorber for impact. To judge whether an OME one is any good, you'd have to batter some kerbs with your near side wheel to be able to tell.

C
An interesting observation, but not one that I share. I found a noticeable difference on trunk roads in particular. With the old damper I had far more tendency to wander, but with the OME the steering is much 'tighter'.

Interesting Andrew. Nope genuinely couldn't tell I was driving without one and then when I put a brand new one on, couldn't feel any difference. I guess tyres, swivel condition etc all plays a part, but the damper is there as a shock absorber and under normal turning shouldn't really play much of a part. OK maybe some, but it's operation is just like a normal suspension damper really, press it slowly it compresses, push it quickly and it locks up. However, I have to say that having spent money on a couple now, I'd happily take a Milner version if there was one. Spending a huge wad on a named one, in my view, is money that could be spent better elsewhere.

I've also seen spring assisted versions. Not sure what that's intended for, maybe to assist centralizing the steering (getting back to straight I mean) at low speeds presumably more useful off road.

Has anyone seen/used those?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Clive, I have a spring assisted one on the off road 80.

Chris/Andrew. I'm hearing what you both saying.

I'm fitting my Old man emu 2 inch lift first but frogs had sent steering damper by mistake so I thought do I just pay for it and fit it.
I'm wanting to tighten the whole truck back up to how it should be. I have air bags for the rear as well. I was holeing that I would get the feedback whatbandrew said. I tow a lot on th motorway and the truck does wander a little.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Clive, I have a spring assisted one on the off road 80.

Chris/Andrew. I'm hearing what you both saying.

I'm fitting my Old man emu 2 inch lift first but frogs had sent steering damper by mistake so I thought do I just pay for it and fit it.
I'm wanting to tighten the whole truck back up to how it should be. I have air bags for the rear as well. I was holeing that I would get the feedback whatbandrew said. I tow a lot on th motorway and the truck does wander a little.

Running a bit off topic I know Karl, but does the spring make much difference? Sorry I can't help more on your original question.

Last edited:
I have a six inch lift on Clive with adjustable panards etc.

Maybe that's why it has the spring so it can all be adjusted. Got knows really mate.

Doesn't drive so bad on the motorway tho for what it is.

I have a six inch lift on Clive with adjustable panards etc.

Maybe that's why it has the spring so it can all be adjusted. Got knows really mate.

Doesn't drive so bad on the motorway tho for what it is.

That's twice my lift Karl, std panhards are ok with that, although the rear axle has kicked out just under half an inch, which is negligible.

I couldn't use mine as a daily drive. It's too high.

Good fun for the other stuff though ;)

Back