Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On board air compressor

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hi all
I have had a look through past threads - the last one seems to be 2017 - and just wondered if there are new ideas.
The idea is to use it for inflating tyres and cleaning filters etc so not heavy duty (eg for air driven tools).
As a result I dont think i even need to fit a tank, so am currently aiming for a portable system that can sit in a bag until it is needed int he back of the truck. But happy to be corrected on that if you think a tank or installed gives some big benefits?
My instinct is to get something in the middle of the range (ie pay up for robustness and reliability) rather than the cheapest i can find.
So any ideas on best makes/models that people have used recently?
many thanks

I put in an ARB twin air compressor (permanent wired in) and couldn't be happier with it. I definitely agree pay more for a decent one.

The main thing to think about is that the bigger compressors will fill your tyres significantly faster, especially with larger tyres. To fill my BFG AT2's takes minutes from a half deflated state to fully inflated with the ARB. With my old TruckAir compressor, which was super reliable, it'd take a good 20 minutes or more, by which point the TruckAir is starting to overheat. Times that by 4 tyres and you could be looking at the difference between 10 minutes and an hour and a half.

Just something to think

Having run direct comparisions against other trucks, there is an advantage to having a tank. But it needs to be a tank and permenant compressor. As you pull up, you've already one tyre's worth of air ready. As you walk around the compresor is still filling the tank so you're ahead. Now when the tank is empty the air is basically passing straight through. It might even be slightly less. If you are on your own, it's good. There were four of us on the trip and my tyres we're filled faster. But I still had to wait for the olther lads so I didn't really gain anything except a bit more time to smoke Russian cigars. Getting the thing out and connecting it up is a pain.

I have a T-max which is great for blowing up next door neighbors swimming pool for the kids in 10 minutes but its a bulky thing to hide in the truck .

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air-compressor-heavy-duty-portable-tyre-inflator-adventurer/
I also have a T max, it’s the twin Cylinder job, I’ve had it for years, I’ve used it to pump up 1000x20 lorry tyres, it’s been extremely useful but as you rightfully say bulky, nowhere under the bonnet either. So, when we go on a trip that I think it would be good to take it on, I put it in a plastic ( aaargh,,,that word) sealable box on the roof rack, it’s a pain I know but the luxury of a compressor on some of the trips we’ve done is priceless ( The Alps, Sardinia Corsica)however on my Froader I have the ARB thingy, that’s a get the kettle on job, but, it’s reliable, better to take 20 minutes for inflation than trash a good tyre that’s under inflated. It’s one of those things, ideally an under the bonnet with a tank that you use now and then or a portable nuisance.
Another possibility is that I recall from more than 20 years ago there was offered a small V twin compressor that was driven by a vee belt from the motor, I don’t remember all the details, maybe someone here does,
Best regards, Billy Westley

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The big thing to look at over brand is duty cycle. Smaller unit typically only have a 33% duty cycle, i.e. in a one hour timeframe you can run it for 20 mins. Look fora unit which is 100% duty cycle.
I have an Extremeaire unit

524181A0-AB0F-4088-B8F7-913997885845.jpeg

I have a tank under my off road 80. Was there when I got it and I never removed it. I read somewhere it was possible to use the ac pump as a compressor which is what it basically is. Are they up to the job or is it easier simpler to fit an electric pump and couple that up to the tank.

I have a t Maxx twin cylinder one, had it a few years now and used it a fair bit (been fitted in 3 different vehicles) mine is mounted between seats and drawers. Inflates the 35's no problem.

all, thanks v much for the input. some good points to think about there.
cheers

Back