Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On the scrounge... But not for me this time!!!

PUNT!!! Up it goes again!!!

Rightio chaps - setting off at 09:00 hrs tomorrow in a minibus instead of cars now so we're all penned in together for the journeying sections... Planning a nice hot curry for tonights tea to make myself a popular chap in the 'bus ;-)

I'll be keeping in touch via Andy Prince on the mobile to feed you updates while you're feeding on hog roast!!!

Chink chink :)

Good luck for tomorrow, Gav- don't forget the sunblock or maybe a sombrero :twisted:
Will keep phone to hand awaiting your updates :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Mornin' all

Just a quick note to let you know how it went at the weekend...

Sorry to say, I didn't manage to complete the 3-Peaks... 

My 'glass' knee packed up on the descent of Scafell & I felt it would be stupid/dangerous to try Snowdon with the pain it was giving.  Absolutely gutted not to have managed the full deck but there we go - might have to have a doc look at it & get it sorted...

The event was quite a slog.  We left the Wirral around 09:00 on Saturday in a 15-seater minibus & started our challenge at 18:00 with the climb of Ben Nevis from Glen Nevis. I was back to the bus by 23:00 which I was pleased with.  Man thats a slog - relentless.  In hindsight, I think the descent is whats done my knee - a lot of impacts...

We got to Scafell & started the ascent at 06:00 - the minibus was speed restricted to 60mph which didn't help the transit times...  I was dropped right from the start & was way behind the team at the top.  Coming down was a nightmare...  One of the guys stayed with me which was great but by the last part of the descent, I could barely string half a dozen steps together without stopping to rest the knee...  It was crushing getting back to the bus knowing that was that...  All over...

But, I had a great go at it with a great bunch of guys.  They dropped me off at a garage on the way through to Snowdon with Kev (he'd been on board for Ben Nevis only) & they carried on to complete the mission.  They got down from Snowdon at around 19:30 so I'm made up for them to have completed it. 

Loads of memorable bits including the descent of Ben Nevis in the darkening evening following picture postcard views from the climb & the top...  The climb up Scafell was much more personal.  I'll pop some photo's up as they dribble through from the team.

With respect to the fund raising, Pete was hoping to get to the £1,000 mark but the website is up to nearly £1,600 this morning & I know there's more donations to come in from loads of sources so its been a total success from that point of view.  You lot & my other friends, family & work colleagues have been brilliant & so very generous in this regard so thank you very much for your contributions.

Same time next year???

Cheers all

That's bad luck about your knee Gav but it sounds like you gave it your best shot so you should give yourself a big pat on the back :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done on getting as far as you did. Quite a achievement in itself. Hope you get you knee sorted out!

Cheers guys - yeah, pretty pleased on the whole - just very disappointing to come so close... Hey ho.

Gavlad said:
Cheers guys - yeah, pretty pleased on the whole - just very disappointing to come so close... Hey ho.
Good enough for me ;)

Bad luck, Gav, but a good effort! My guess is your knee would have been ok at Lincomb ;)

2 out of 3 ain't bad! ;) Nice one mate, hope you heal up cleanly and quickly.

No rush on the refund btw, just give it me when you next see me...........

...Just kiddin :mrgreen:

Well done Gav. Fantastic effort. Feels great when you give all you can give.

Down is much harder on the joints than up - read somewhere its something like 7 x load compared to up.

Bit of alternative healing might not go amiss (no, not beer)

Gav,
Only just spotted this thread...

It looks like we were doing similar stuff this w/e! I was in Yorkshire doing their three peaks (Pen-y-gent, Whernside & Ingleborough). I had similar problems with my knees in the past few months whilst on a Practice walk - which I put down to carrying too much weight and the unavoidable impacts when decending! So I know exactly how it feels to have to drop out and be left behind - I didn't make it as far as you, so definitely don't sweat over it!!

Anyway, this Saturday I proved to myself that I could do it (if i took my time / care when decending etc..) and completed it in 11hrs 20min.

For our party this trip was pretty uneventful although we past an unfortunate soul on the way up to Whernside - he'd sufferred a heart attack and died litterally a few minutes before we past through. Obviously this was very upsetting and disturbing for everyone especially as he didn't look that different from the rest of us!!! So yes - It could have been worse!:shock:

oh btw - late sponsorship on its way!

Andrew Prince said:
My guess is your knee would have been ok at Lincomb ;)
You could be right AP - would have been tastier too although Kev did a wicked soup at the foor of Scafell from a couple of packets & some garlic sausages... :mrgreen:

Jimbo4x4 said:
2 out of 3 ain't bad!
Cheers Jimster...
Jimbo4x4 said:
No rush on the refund btw, just give it me when you next see me
Willdo ;-)

adrianr said:
Well done Gav. Fantastic effort. Feels great when you give all you can give
Cheers Ade - would feel better if I could have finished but, yeah, you're right really.
adrianr said:
Bit of alternative healing might not go amiss
I'm all ears dude - do I sense a new thread/PM?? :cool:

Justin_Elliott said:
I was in Yorkshire doing their three peaks
Nice one Justin - any charitable cause or just mild(er) insanity on your behalf?? :lol: Downer on the mortality though :( I know of nothing like that from our weekend. But we were just an independant bunch of folk whilst there were coachloads doing it over the same weekend for their various reasons/charities... Tonnes of yanks & allsorts were descending past me on the climb of Ben Nevis.
Justin_Elliott said:
oh btw - late sponsorship on its way
That is enormously kind of you dude - thank you.

(And just in case there's any more for anymore, the webpage for donations is open til 2015!!!! Yes, I am totally shameless :roll: )

And just in case there's any more for anymore, the webpage for donations is open til 2015!!!! Yes, I am totally shameless

that 815 tonight then dude?

i'll call you about the other -

Gavlad said:
Nice one Justin - any charitable cause or just mild(er) insanity on your behalf??
Definitely insanity! One of those decisions made in the pub! I only found out after everything was booked that it clashed with Lincomb...

Gavlad said:
That is enormously kind of you dude - thank you.
No worries...

Justin_Elliott said:
I only found out after everything was booked that it clashed with Lincomb...
Yeah, me too :lol: Still, its been worthwhile for the cause :)

Back