Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One for the Photographers

I agree with you Shayne about that photo, but sometimes these shots come good out of pure chance, and with all due respect to Reinhard (in fact all his images looked superb to me) it may not be the camera or the photographer that should have the credit for that photograph.

I'm no photographer and I'm using a Sony W200 p&s and that must be one of the worst cameras on the market. But, I do have some fantastic "fluke" shots which help me to keep the faith!

I with you Clive. In general equating a great photo to a camera is like attributing a great meal to the oven or indeed a good fish to the boat you were in. Those things all help but ultimately they are just tools of the person holding them.

That photo was taken with a Nikon D3000, so a pretty entry level DSLR. I normally shoot with a Nikon D80. The Nikon D3000 is Ginta's camera. We have a DSLR each as we are both keen photographers and would otherwise be arguing over who get to use the camera and when. Apart from the Nikons we also have a Lumix TZ35. This is a replacement for a TZ10 which we accidentally dropped. We use the Lumix when we dont want to carry the heavier cameras. We find the Lumix range to be very good for our purposes

When it comes to taking photos when we are on the move, we tend to grab whichever camera happens to be closest to hand. Why? Because most photo opportunities are fleeting. A few seconds of fumbling around for the right camera, messing around with settings and whatever and the opportunity is gone.

With regards to taking photos, the final image is a combination of the subject, maybe action/movement, and light, and the angle of the shot. Yes, there is an element of luck - everything needs to be lined up to create the opportunity, but you also need to see the image and recognise it for what it is. Its about seeing light and the effects of light rather than just than just the subject itself. Sometimes the light changes before you take the photo and you wait for ages for the opportunity to recreate itself, and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. And if it does, it is rarely the same image, the light might be different, the subject (or you) might have moved, something might have entered the frame, you might even frame it differently. And yes, you do need the technical equipment, and the equipment does play a significant part, but remember early photographers took some pretty impressive photos with some very basic (analogue) equipment, and each film subsequently at the mercy of the processing lab.

I think there is a lot of good (and some not so good) kit out there today, and that ultimately you need to decide what you want it for, your price range and how comfortable it feels to you when you are handling it. Then, whatever you chose, it is a question of getting as familiar as you can with the camera through practice, so you can take photos efficiently with the least fumbling and messing around.

Apologies Reinhard, if I belittled your skills (and equipment) with my earlier comment, it was not intentional!

But for sure I know it works in reverse. I consider that I do have an eye for a photograph, but as I said, I'm by no means a "photographer" in the true sense. Having said that I've been lucky on several occasions and I have some photographs that I'm very proud of indeed.

Hi Clive,

Apologies are mine if my posting gave that impression. It was not my intention - I probably got a bit too passionate about the subject and the whole thing came out wrong. Looks like once again I put my foot in it! I am no expert in the field, and it would be very arrogant of me to say that I am.

In fact we are not in disagreement - different things have to fall into place to take a 'perfect' shot, sometimes you can control the conditions, sometimes its just is down to chance, luck, call it what you will. The equipment may contribute to the final image, but it is one of a many factors.

So, again apologies, if my posting gave the impression that offence was taken, because that was not the case.

Apologies Reinhard, if I belittled your skills (and equipment) with my earlier comment, it was not intentional!

But for sure I know it works in reverse. I consider that I do have an eye for a photograph, but as I said, I'm by no means a "photographer" in the true sense. Having said that I've been lucky on several occasions and I have some photographs that I'm very proud of indeed.

Hi Clive,

Apologies are mine if my posting gave that impression. It was not my intention - I probably got a bit too passionate about the subject and the whole thing came out wrong. Looks like once again I put my foot in it! I am no expert in the field, and it would be very arrogant of me to say that I am.

In fact we are not in disagreement - different things have to fall into place to take a 'perfect' shot, sometimes you can control the conditions, sometimes its just is down to chance, luck, call it what you will. The equipment may contribute to the final image, but it is one of a many factors.

So, again apologies, if my posting gave the impression that offence was taken, because that was not the case.

Ha ha, it wasn't your post that gave me a guilt complex Reinhard, it was mine!

After posting I thought, this guy may be a top professional and sat up all night waiting for the perfect dawn shot with 50 or 60 grands worth of kit to get that photo, and here's me suggesting it was a fluke!

I went to Scotland on one occasion and it was Jan 4th, very cold, but a clear blue sky. We were passing Loch Eik North of Glasgow and the loch was like a millpond. We stopped for a beer at a little coffee shop pub and I fired of a few photos with my point and shoot.

Apologies for posting them (I won't do it again, or maybe on another thread) but here we go, pure fluke!

26-03.01.03 - Scotland - Loch Eik (1).jpg

26-03.01.03 - Scotland - Loch Eik (2).jpg

26-03.01.03 - Scotland - Loch Eik (3).jpg

26-03.01.03 - Scotland - Loch Eik.jpg

26-03.01.03 - Scotland - Loch Eik (4).jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Filters.

Do you use a UV on the end of your lenses or not??

People have said put on eon others have said don't as you loose up to a stop.

I also need to source a good 58mm CLP if anyone can recommend.

Filters.

Do you use a UV on the end of your lenses or not??

People have said put on eon others have said don't as you loose up to a stop.

You will lose nothing with Nikon UV filters [assume canon is the same] and they are worth it because if you break a UV filter in the field it is no big deal compared to breaking the end lens piece. Also if you have a situation where you have crap all over it and you need to shoot you can take off the filter and still get the shots. Good insurance policy. If you have good glass though, stick with the branded filters despite the cost.

Back