Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Orange corner lights

whereisgibson

I quite like the touch of the orange seen on US trucks.

20171118_141203-jpg.1576807

Are these not UK spec due to a particular reason? I've never seen them for sale on this side of the Atlantic.

The law. Anything other than white for front side lights and red for rear side lights is illegal.

Hmmn. What is precluding swapping the lower front indicators to be white lenses and using them as sidelights, and using the orange units as indicators?

Also "headlamps may function as front position lamps", so what about moving the bulb into the housing of the headlight?

Crossed my mind when this was mentioned on a thread somebody is planning to make bumpers for sale in the UK .

Could side lights be opened and modified to carry both a white side light and an orange bulb ?

@Shayne so what I'm curious is the colour of the lens. I think if you did as you suggest one might see a bit of orange if the bulb was that colour, but the light would otherwise look white, unless one got the lx450 item. The orange appears to be reflector only, so it would still produce white light from a white bulb...

img_1282-jpg.1004780

@Towpack Are we still failing the mot though, both with swapping the stock indicators for sidelights, or trying to use the lx450 items?

If the lights shows the correct colour then they'll be good for the MOT. I don't think the fact that they're not OEM spec matters. Swapping the UK spec indicator and sidelight lenses, plus rewiring them to suit will still give white front sidelights and orange indicators.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had never seen those LX450 lights but i was thinking of a horizontal split putting the side light above the indicator behind the same glass .

Just had a look to see if I had any piccys, this is all I could find.
View attachment 180609
Every day's a school day :)

@Shayne so what I'm curious is the colour of the lens. I think if you did as you suggest one might see a bit of orange if the bulb was that colour, but the light would otherwise look white, unless one got the lx450 item. The orange appears to be reflector only, so it would still produce white light from a white bulb...

img_1282-jpg.1004780

@Towpack Are we still failing the mot though, both with swapping the stock indicators for sidelights, or trying to use the lx450 items?
I have these on my 80, the ITV people who are normally quite hot on mods, see that they don't look out of place so have passed them over and over for around six years or so now.

Regards

Dave

Just got in from tesco and on the way in passed a UK registered BMW 3 series est that had orange side marker lights as well as white lights in head lights all light up whether a home made job or something BMW do for another market so it could be done you just need the light fittings same as the light mod on the rear of the 90 95 series

Mine came from Canada. I think the US have orange units where our sidelights are?

I know technically it was illegal to have nothing but white lights at the front of a UK car however, I note Land Rover Discovery TDI had both white and orange soooo?

Here it is pretty much it had to be as it was when it left the factory, mod can (and are) done here but you have to leap through a few hoops and it can be expensive. A snorkel for example comes under the same scrutiny as a tow bar....I mean if your tow bar is not secure the trailer or caravan could come free and cause an accident.....just as your snorkel could! :wtf:

Regards

Dave

Circa 1989 Toyota Crown appears to have very similar corner lights which appear to be both direction indicators and parking lights ?

1644257535064.png

Mine light up with the single bulb, whit at the front an orange at the side, been looking for a photo......hmmm just a thought, I seem to recall that a 'Mr Picky' MOT man can look for an EU marking on the lens?

Regards

Dave

Back