Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland ready for just £18000

That really does look like an great piece of kit.

Gra

What sort of licence do you need for one of those trucks?

Pete

What sort of licence do you need for one of those trucks?

I doubt very much it will be plated under 7.5 ton so, you would need a category C license Pete.

It looks far too top heavy for my liking though.

most campers like that have been down rated to 7.5t so if your old you can drive on a normal car one.
most of the big american stuff is the same classification.
stu

Car licence, as mentioned above, much of the USA class "A" motorhomes over here are also car licence drivable.

Gra

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't be so sure folks.

If that one has been down rated to 7.5t it will be over weight when loaded up for a trip..... there's over half a ton of fuel and water.

In the case of a motorhome or campervan, plating is done on the vehicles MAM (maximum authorised mass). This is the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry :thumbup:

yes but its different if its been down rated if it cant carry a hire or reward load. i think these even way over 7.5t unlayden. there is lots of funny rules about.
stu

Trust me, this one will need a Cat C license to drive it.... not difficult to obtain.

OK so it's a custom built motor home, and nice too, but what is it? It must have been custom built onto something, any clues from you boffs out there?

Not my cuppa, but a great truck for those it is :icon-biggrin:

Trust me, this one will need a Cat C license to drive it.... not difficult to obtain.

What he said - looked into this long and hard, and there is a great deal of BS out there. GVW is GVW - irrespective of the vehicle class - there may be loop holes in the UK, but travel in Europe and further (and frankly, why have one of these if you dont plan that) then you need to have the right licenses, insurance, carnet, etc, etc.

Bigger issue for me, is that the main cab is only a 2+ sleeper, so essentially the kids and any spare adults appear to be in free fall in the back. Not clever, and depending on the country, not legal.

Other than that, price is about right - several of these overlanders for sale on and off for sub £20k - not loads, but there again there aren't loads of buyers. There were half a dozen for sale most of last summer. This one looks tidy, but check out the overlanders site for examples.

wouldn't rate the life expectancy of that overcab monstrosity on African corrugations.

Some of these have seats for the kids mounted in the sleeper section of the cab.

I would say there are much better ones out there

It's an ex military style DAF chassis by the way, alhtough there are civvy versions as well (some of the utility companies use them)

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/19147/DAF_4X4_Truck.htm

Last edited:
Car licence, as mentioned above, much of the USA class "A" motorhomes over here are also car licence drivable.

Gra

Graham, B class or a car licence is up to 3.5t GVW...

Rob that is only true if you passed your test after 97. If you pre 97 then you can drive upto 7.5t on the same class.

Stu, what I meant to say is: "car licence" means different things to different people depending on when they passed their test.

Don't it just Stu a mate is in court today for pulling a trailer :wtf: so i checked my licence and i'm only allowed to pull up to 750kg :shock:

Whats the quickest way to get this uprated ? when i'm using a trailer it's usually 3 tonne at least .

Last edited:
Shane When did you pass your test? i would have thought you were a pre 97 which would mean you can tow upto 3.5t braked or 750kg unbraked. sorry if your not that old hey hey.

is it for business use shane?

I'm 42 Stu but didn't actually take a driving test until 2012 , rode bikes all my life and .... well before health and safety set foot in the Isle of Man there was a pretty relaxed attitude to what a man did (drove) while going about his work .

Business hmm no i'm just giving the lads on the boat a hand .

If its in the isle of man i have no idea if the uk then you would need to get a BE licence. its not that hard to do but costly. I have a good contact that will be flexible in your needs to save you some money. Its not cheap though its nearly worth paying a bit extra and doing you lorry licence and getting the c1 so you can then drive alot more.
stu

Back