Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland ready for just £18000

It looks like it was built on a 7.5t chassis. But if its been down graded then it might be possible to drive it on a car license, but why does someone ask the seller to be sure.

As for towing a trailer over 750kgs, having taken your test after 97. Its a trailer test for you ;)

If its in the isle of man i have no idea if the uk then you would need to get a BE licence. its not that hard to do but costly. I have a good contact that will be flexible in your needs to save you some money. Its not cheap though its nearly worth paying a bit extra and doing you lorry licence and getting the c1 so you can then drive alot more.
stu

From memory C1 only lets you tow 750KG as well, need to do a separate trailer licence regardless.

I did the trailer test. Cost my old boss about £500 for a day of training and then the test the next day.

Its basically like doing the normal car test again but with a trailer on the back. :icon-biggrin:

I think my truck is rated to pull 3.5t (and having moved a power station auxiliary generator i reckon she can pull double that) and i have a Ford transit tipper which i would guess is probably rated the same and as it's an occasional need i really am wondering whether its worth the bother at all i've never in my life used a trailer with lights on let alone brakes ! and there's so many money spinning categories it makes my head spin :|

I think you will find that it is only 80's, 100's and 200's that are rated for 3500kg, I can not remember what the lighter cruisers are rated for but it is less than 3000kg.

From memory C1 only lets you tow 750KG as well, need to do a separate trailer licence regardless.

sorry meant to say c1e its the artic lorry licence

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just checked the swb collie is rated to tow 2.8 Tonne but i knew i read 3.5 somewhere on the truck . Mate got 2 points on his licence and £220 fine but that was in the Isle of Man where being found not guilty is likely to incur a fine .

towing002_zpsfee6e98b.jpg

Last edited:

it's a little more involved than that, you can tow a lot bigger than that depending on the gross train weight, and rules are slacker for even newer drivers!!! before 1997, you don't need a seperate trailer license and can tow a trailer upto 3500kgs with a MAM of 8.25 tons after 1997 you can have a MAM of upto 3500kgs, so, if your car weighs 1 ton, and is legally allowed to do so (unlikely I know but just for illustration) you could tow a trailer of 2.5tons. the license for towing trailers upto 3500kgs is B+E

this explains it all fairly clearly

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

with regards to vehicle weights

a cat B licence only allows you to drive upto 3500kgs. People who passed their test before 1997 will have category C1 on their license allowing them to drive upto 7500kgs.

a clear explanation of this can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

One anomally worth noting is this.

Lets say you have a catB license and you want to pull an empty car trailer, are you allowed to do it? The answer is,no, because the governing factor is the plated weight of the trailer, not the weight it actually carries.

So, what about if I want to tow a 3.5ton plated trailer loaded to a total weight of 2.5 tons behind my hilux, which is plated to tow 2.8 tons?

The answer is yes. Here is a copy of an email I received from a technical officer at VOSA. If anyone needs the original contact details as evidence if they have a problem, let me know. Not all police or vehicle inspectors understand the regulations!!

Andrew

I refer to your mail of 7 February to VOSA Enquiries with the above title.

I confirm that for technical purposes a motor vehicle can tow any trailer provided the towing vehicle's towing capacity or Gross Train Weight is not exceeded, regardless of the Gross Vehicle Weight of the Trailer. Thus your example Hilux with a 2.5 tonne towing capacity can legally tow a trailer laden to 2 tonnes even though the trailer GVW is 3 tonnes.

The only regulations that make usage limitations based on trailer GVW rather than actual weight are some categories of driving licence, tachograph and driver's hours, and goods vehicle operator licensing. Those that govern overloading offences, the Authorised Weight Regulations 1998 and the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 do not.

Last edited:
The DAF chassis is alright, but that is all... They are permanent 4x4 with a very sticky centre diff lock and a thirsty 6 point something turbo diesel. 5 speed main box, high & lo ratios and they are OK off road and much better laden. The designation is Truck Cargo 4x4 4 tonne DAF with variations on that theme like LHD/RHD, CALM, w/winch, etc. Bear in mind they were so good that many were outlasted by the Bedfords they replaced - mainly due to corrosion issues. They have been replaced with MAN 6 tonne variants which are excellent despite the age of the original design.

The biggest issue with that camper body would be the tilting cab, which is necessary to anything except check the oil and water, thought view forward with everyone in it suggests it may be modified.

The Volvo C303 is a nice little truck (think Land Rover 101 or big Pinzgauer) but getting rare for parts these days.

I'd still like a Unimog 1300L as a camper base... too expensive for me!

Bear in mind in the licensing jungle, you need a medical and renewal for anything more that 7.5 tons or more than 9 passengers at the age of 45. Guess how I know!

The DAF chassis is alright, but that's all... They are permanent 4x4 with a very sticky centre diff lock and a thirsty 6 point something turbo diesel. 5 speed main box, high & lo ratios and they are OK off road - much better laden. The designation is Truck, Cargo, 4x4, 4 tonne DAF with variations on that theme like LHD/RHD, CALM, w/winch, etc. Bear in mind they were so good that many were outlasted by the Bedfords they replaced - mainly due to corrosion issues. They have been replaced with MAN 6 tonne variants which are excellent despite the age of the original design.

The biggest issue with that camper body would be the tilting cab, which is necessary to anything except check the oil and water, thought view forward with everyone in it suggests it may be modified.

The Volvo C303 is a nice little truck (think Land Rover 101 or big Pinzgauer) but getting rare for parts these days.

I'd still like a Unimog 1300L as a camper base... too expensive for me!

Bear in mind in the licensing jungle, you need a medical and renewal for anything more that 7.5 tons or more than 9 passengers at the age of 45. Guess how I know!:icon-cry:

Bigger issue for me, is that the main cab is only a 2+ sleeper, so essentially the kids and any spare adults appear to be in free fall in the back. Not clever, and depending on the country, not legal.

I think you will find it is a crew cab rather than a sleeper.

Back