Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Permanently live 12v socket in boot?

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
I would like to install the above in the boot area in addition to the existing ignition switched 12v socket. Obviously I could run some suitable fused cabling all the way back to one of the batteries. Wondering however if there is a suitable feed already in the jack area that the Towbar uses. Any ideas and if so how do I locate the correct feed other than trial and error with a multimeter! Thanks

Hi Adrian
I suppose it depends on what wiring you have for the towbar, ie do you have twin electrics (or 13 pin) and what you want to draw from your new socket.
If you have wiring to run the fridge in a caravan and charge a battery, then you need to check the wire diameter that feeds the socket, and you should find the wire that goes to supply the socket (permanent feed) and tap into that with a fuse(pin 4 on the seven pin plug or pin 9 on a thirteen pin socket

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I’ve got a 13 pin Towbar socket( was twin 7 but I required it for convenience). The new 12v socket is for a fridge in the boot and I won’t otherwise have a load on the permanent live of the 13 pin. However the wiring at the 13 pin itself is now all neatly sealed up and I don’t particularly want to disturb it. Hence why I wondered if there was somewhere obvious in the wiring in the jack area that was the 13 pin permanent live feed.

There is a red wire in the jack area (probably a bit nearer the rear light) that is a permanent live.

From memory I think it might have an inline fuse holder on it, but you can distinguish it easily as its probably the only wire in a 6 way connector!

If you cant find it, let me know and I'll see if I have a pic; I tapped into it when I needed some power in the back.

PS: My towbar is 7 pin so doesn't have any power output on it. However, the Toyota towbar harness uses the power on that permanent live to power the indicator relay etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here is a photo of the plug behind the jack cover in the boot. Am Itight in thinking the thick red wire is likely to be the permanent live? Can’t find mymuktimetoat mine!

Attachments

• D1F78FAC-5DFE-466C-9696-CF8747059413.jpeg
    D1F78FAC-5DFE-466C-9696-CF8747059413.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 47
  • B6526014-6AF1-42B5-A57C-1CC94B0B5087.jpeg
    B6526014-6AF1-42B5-A57C-1CC94B0B5087.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 42
That doesn't look the same as mine, but you might have an extra wire there due to your 13 pin socket.

I think for a fridge, I'd be tempted to make sure I'm taking the wire from the towbar socket rather than anywhere else - pin 9 orange. Check its rated OK for your fridge and whatever else you need to pull from the socket obviously.

You can always tap the wire further back if you don't want to mess with the sealed socket connections.

If you've got an official toyota towbar wiring kit, you can look at the installation manual to show you where the wire runs, so you can find a decent place to tap it.

Back