Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol in diesel tank

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Rather blurry eyed this morning, I stuck the Shell V power unleaded nozzle into the 120. I realised what I was doing as the meter clicked over 1L.
As the tank was bone dry anyway, I just filled it with about 78L of diesel.

What chemically, would this small amount of petrol do to diesel? Just pondering but would it enhance it in some way? I know all the bad stuff like it’ll screw my pump up etc.
I remember reading way back when that someone (on this forum I think) puts, IIRC, 4L of petrol to a tank in their 80 during winter to stop waxing.
Could it increase performance of the diesel slightly?

Not looking for increased performance, just wondering ;)

I agree with Adrian. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Karl

You'll be fine with that. I've done worse. I put 80l of unleaded in mine Colorado. Doh.

Yours is a more modern, sensitive engine, but a litre or even more won't harm it. Mine certainly got a good clear out. Ran very well after that.

Don't think you see performance increase, but you may get a little smoke.

Chris

It probably will help clean those pesky injectors!

Only 1 and a bit % so no real issue I'm sure

I used 3 to 4l of petrol as injector cleaner a few times... Not had any issues, in fact ran a little better afterwards :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But then mine will run on anything that resembles oil, more like comparing apples to pears in this case.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

you will be fine when they drain your tank they never get all of it out there is always a little bit left in the lines and bottom of the tank

During our 2007 Morocco trip one of the lads with us put 4 litres of petrol in his Shogun diesel every fill up.... never did ask him why but he certainly had no problems during the trip.

It was a 2003 truck I think.

Crispin said:
What chemically, would this small amount of petrol do to diesel? Just pondering but would it enhance it in some way?
Chemically, it will do zilch to the diesel - physically it will reduce the lubricity by a tiny, negligible amount given the ratios.

Personally I wouldn't give it another thought. However with the injectors on the 120 being more prone to breaking than an Essex girl's virginity, you could always add a dollop of 2stroke to boost lubricity and sleep better at night :mrgreen:
PS: The better sleep might also help prevent bleary eyes in future ;)

Andrew Prince said:
However with the injectors on the 120 being more prone to breaking than an Essex girl's virginity...

:lol: Classic!

Thanks,

I’m (ignorantly?) not worried about it. I think it if was a higher ratio then I might have been.

How come it would not “aid” the combustion? Ratio too small to notice? Surely anything flammable would help? (however detrimental to the engine)

Andrew Prince said:
[quote="Crispin":38iw8fas]What chemically, would this small amount of petrol do to diesel? Just pondering but would it enhance it in some way?
Chemically, it will do zilch to the diesel - physically it will reduce the lubricity by a tiny, negligible amount given the ratios.

Personally I wouldn't give it another thought. However with the injectors on the 120 being more prone to breaking than an Essex girl's virginity, you could always add a dollop of 2stroke to boost lubricity and sleep better at night :mrgreen:
PS: The better sleep might also help prevent bleary eyes in future ;)[/quote:38iw8fas]
You could even try two stroke with the Essex girl, not that's she needs, I will stop just there :D

Could also help prevent burning your injector out.

Gra.

there are those that run 2-3 L of gas with the diesel in the winter to help prevent gelling ...
not to worry

You should have rung Guiness book of Records - a trip in a Mitsubishi with no troubles would be a world record.

Back