Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Photobucket woes

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, done something a bit daft. Well it seemed sensible at the time. Now that I no longer have Lil Blue, I thought it sensible to rearrange my Photobucket albums and sort of archive most of the pics and start new folders with all of my 80 pictures and projects in.

Well, it was a good idea at the time. I ditched some images but moved most into archive files. It is not as easy as dragging here and there so I thought I had copied so that I could paste later. Now 2 things I didn't know. 1. That moving them broke the link with anywhere it was pasted 2. That I hadn't copied them at all. It didn't work. So when I deleted the pics on the board I did not have anything on my clip board. I have also deleted the empty albums so I have no idea what the original 'addresses?' were. I actually thought that when you posted a pic, it got copied into the the server of the host. Uhm, that'd be a no then.

The result is of course that many of the development pics of Lil blue posted here and there have vanished. Now I probably have most, but not all of the originals, but frankly I don't think that I have the time nor energy to track all of those posts down and re allocate the pictures.

So if there is a particular post (anywhere, TLOCUK, Pradopoint, LCOOL) etc that you come across and you need an image, let me know and I shall see what I can resurrect on demand as it were. I don't think that I have posted many pics on here yet, and I only moved files on the 90, not the 80 so I think this forum will be largely unaffected.

I had no idea about the effect of this until Simon (from TLOCUK) mailed me and asked if there was a problem. Obviously very many of the pictures of Lil Blue were posted on there before I came over to this new forum.

I had a quick look back at previous posts on TLOCUK and it looks rather bad. I have apologised to Simon and of course I shall see what I can do when I can, but it would be a lot of work. I guess he could just decide to delete all of my posts with no pics which would be a shame as the text is still there.

Moral is, be careful when you are tidying up picture files!

Chris

Chris said:
Moral is, be careful when you are tidying up picture files!

Chris

That is why I never move them, when the account was full I just started another!!

Paul

Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear about that,,,

Yeah, just like Paul said, when photobucket says you are full, just start a new album, with a new email.

So I thing Simon thought you kinda' did this on purpose ?

It's very easy to do, any sort of moving within your same album also messes up the links.

Graham

You should check out Crispins photos, been some changes there too ;)

That brings up the question again: Why is it that British forums generally don't let you post/upload pix? Is there something in the pricing structure of the broadband links?
I mean: storage space is cheap, so it has to be something like database management issues or traffic size. Other forums offer uploads, like mud and also our local norwegian lc-club forum. What's the issue here?: By posting pix within the forum, we could have the all the good tech-threads intact for as long as required, unaffected by the state of other private or public hosting services, or the actions of individuals.

Until we have a perfect world :) , I suggest making separate folders in your albums for pix that are linked to in forums etc. That way you can manage the normal picture folders as required, and also keep full quality/resolution pix separate from those sized for forum threads.

Maybe some forum guidelines?? Whaddayathink?

I think the problem is with bandwidth, upload broadband speeds are generally very slow so to keep the site fast we outsource photo hosting to different third party servers. It works great in theory but obviously there are problems as addressed here. and if say the photo hosting service is shut down. If there was a clear message in the first post on the 'how to post pics' threads not to change the location or delete images then there may be less problems.

When the site will have the financial support needed and is big enough to be sustainable I see no reason not to have images uploaded to the forum server IMO.

BTW if there is anything that i said is incorrect then feel free to edit admins ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's as Rob says - bandwidth. By using photo bucket or another site for hosting images, we don't have to worry about the bandwidth being used. Currently we have getting free hosting from Jon. This site is sitting alongside other sites he has, if we chewed up all his bandwidth for our images, he would be billed by the hosting company. To date, we don't make money, we don't want to make money and we don't need to make money. If we started hosting and paying, we would have to pepper the site with advertising or ask for Lifetime Membership fees etc.

I do agree though, to upload images is much easier for the poster and also stops accidents happening. But at the moment, it's not feasible... :(

Doesn't the LCCSA host images on their site?

They dont seem to advertise or charge membership fees, and live in the land of rip-off bandwidth costs, and manage to afford it. :?:

Maybe having a dedicated Picasa account for the board ? ( They do 20GB of storage at a measly US$5 per year, unlimited bandwidth). You can then have a dedicated email address where users email their pics (which get automatically loaded onto the album). After they are loaded, the user simply goes to the ELCOC Picasa web album and copies the image location (just like you would normally), and uses in their post.

Guess it would not be practical. A PITA to prevent problems that only occasionally occur... Just a thought anyway. ;)

I was after some pics that Bosvark on TLOCUK had posted, but those posts are now useless as the link is broken there too :(

Having a dedicated Picasa account may not solve these issues as I don't think you can restrict users to post links of the images only to that site, meaning you will still be able to use any picture hosting site. BTW there already is a dedicated picture hosting service for this site here http://www.lcc.gallery.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk. One reason why LCSSA host images as their forums are not available for unregistered users which I imagine drastically reduces traffic to the site. less traffic means less bandwidth needed

Back