Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Phwoar, what a lovely rack

Thaose are the same 2 reasons i chose it and my missus is only 5"2 :)
Good luck!

Hey, Jimbo, managed to make up some new brackets today for the tent and the awning. So I have turned the tent through 90 degrees to open over the boot. Dropped the awning onto the rack feet instead of the rack itself. All works nicely now. Sooo much easier to get to the zipper. Now got accessory rails up there, jerry cans, Peli cases. Oooh it's looking reet proper expeeedition like. I don't think I got an extra foot out of the load space, but I did get more.

Chris

What did the brackets do Chris? Simply lift the tent a wee bit?

You'll have to show us some pics mate, sounds good :thumbup:

Wasn't rocket salad honestly. The tent is flat underneath. Just a board. The c rails can go let to right or back to front. As it's not square, the rails need to be cut if you go one way or can be used full length if you go the other. Still with me? Well, I left them full length which meant that the tent would open sideways if I mounted the rails with the original brackets. This was very neat as the c rails dropped into the natural gaps along the roof rack. Seriously, there is no way you can still be following this.
This allowed the tent base to pretty much sit on the rack giving great support. BUT it was so low that getting to the zipper was a tw@t. All I did was lift the tent, leave the c rails in place and twizzle it 90 degrees. The c rails now sit across the rack not between the slats. This has raised it about an inch. Now, getting to the zipper is easy. All I needed to do was make some new 'keeper plates' which were wide enough to span the slats rather than the thinner rails. On the awning front, this SHOULD bolt onto the side of the rack. But, when it does, you cannot get to the zipper 9of the tent) again nor the holes to put the window supports in. Are you really still with me?

So I made some new keeper plates and dropped the awning onto the rack feet / legs. This means that there is plenty of clearance to get around the rain cover now. Honestly, not sure pics would help. Drawings might or coming round to my house maybe. It's not complicated really, just took some trial and error. I am happy that this really is the best. Will do some pic stuff when it's not night time.

I'd be saying WTF too if I were reading this.
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Chris

Now I've seen one of these in the flesh/canvas, I can see what you mean zigackly. I shall have to have a thrutchel at the slat spacings on my rack to see how best to mount the tent...

Even this 'small' version fills our front/play room!!!

Are you able to post a few pics with your tent mounted across the rack for me/us?

Cheers
Gav

Why certainly young man.

Looky from above. You can seedling that the ladder is running front to backloader. This meanie that the tenteth open full over the door fold. Oh yes.
IMGP4113.jpg

Now the probly was that the zipper fouly on the horning and trap the finger bones most tenderly as it was low riding in the slats, you see? Here is now mended good
IMGP4121.jpg

But with twizzling, the channers, they now run lefty righty across the racker and not fall into the slatters any more Successah!
IMGP4121.jpg

But in order to mechanise this, I have to make longer slatter crossers as the wee little ones one span only the crosser rails not the slatters, yes?
IMGP4116.jpg

IMGP4117.jpg

The tenter now embellish the side of the racker by a bodie 2 and a farf hinches a sidel, deep joy.
IMGP4118.jpg

The horning is now fix lower onto the foot for the racker where it is most happy with new brakkers too. No foul.
IMGP4119.jpg

IMGP4114.jpg

All tidy and no fat boy in sight. Most tidy and not such a windjammer as first envisio.
IMGP4115.jpg

Crystal.

Chris
Your wife gets some nice straight lines on that lawn, the hedge looks good as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be sure to tell her! Since we moved here, I have never cut this lawn. Not once! I used to do the hedge, she has taken that on too. We have mostly moss rather than grass, but she still takes pride in cutting it. It's more like a bog garden than a lawn.

C

Back