Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Piston rings

IRLGW

Hi,

What is the typical life for a set of piston rings in the 12v 4.2l engine? I know its a 'how long is a piece of string' question but would be useful to get a few opinions. Mine has 180k on the clock but no service history. It pulls fine and although smokey when I got it that seems to have settled down after half a tank of new diesel.

Also where should the oil level indicator sit- it goes to third mark when engine is cold and then drops to second mark and rise towards the third again when engine is around 2500rpm. Does this sound normal?

going to the BEB as a precautionary measure and wondering is it worth doing the rings as well?

MPG not worked out exactly but got around 240miles for £50 of diesel. 90% was motorway driving at 60-70mph so this makes me think the engine isn't in too bad shape :think:

Welcome

well ive heard of them with upwards of 1,000,000 km on them. rings normally not a problem

bebs - yep do them asap

your oil level indicator sounds right - not thats it that accurate from what i have read.

awesome trucks and ultra reliable if you maintain them, and from what i have seen even if you dont then run a LONG time.

worth baselining front axles etc

With the exeption of the BEB's you can reasonably expect the rest of the engine to go 300k miles+ with just basic maintenance.

By oil level indicator I assume you mean oil pressure gauge. The OE gauge is not particularly reliable and can vary widely from unit to unit, useful only as an indication that you have SOME pressure. Use a mechanical gauge for an accurate reading. For what it's worth your gauge reads roughly the same as mine.

Working on £1.30/litre your getting around 28ish to the gallon which, IMO, is on the good side of average.

If you have even the slightest doubt that the BEB's haven't been done, do them. If it turns out they are OK or have been done, at least you know. From your description of how the truck runs I wouldn't even consider the rings.

Towpack said:
... Working on £1.30/litre your getting around 28ish to the gallon which, IMO, is on the good side of average.
£1.30 a litre :o where are you managing to find it at that price?

Round here it's in the low £1.40's... which equates to 30mpg.... must be a manual?

Thanks guys the rings stay will stay where they are but the BEB are getting CHG :thumbup:

I paid £1.38l in an esso garage. Which leads me on......anyone know what these monsters run like on a kerosene mix? I used to run my old landrover on it at about 60%kero/30% white/10% veg oil for lubrication. Engine certainly lasted longer than the chassis but wouldn't want to experiment in a good jeep! legal advice not required!

Back