Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

polyurethane bush kit - anyone bought one before?

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hi guys, the trucks ticking over 170k soon, and the bushes aren't looking there best, especially the rear pannard arms which is metal on metal now. :|

I'm looking for a nice set of polyurethane bushes for the complete truck, front and rear. I've already got the polyurethane steering rack bushes, so expect this.

I see roughtrax sells some bits but not everything. I originally bought the steering rack bushes 10 years ago, from america and they were made to fit the toyota tacoma. I'm thinking the gen 3 surfs may share similar bushes as well but not completely sure. :?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone down this routeor knows where is best to possibly get them? :think:

Thanks

I thought Roughtrax did a full bush kit for the 90 series. A couple of hundred quid if IIRC and I also thought Milners did one aswell but I can't seem to find a link on the site. It might be worth giving them both an actual call as the product may have been overlooked on the website. Also Roughtrax should do you abit of a deal If you are looking to buy a full set at once they did with my control arm and panhard bushes earlier in the year.

I've just checked out Milner and they seem to do the rear panhard arms, as well as the lower and upper control arms, for £80 in total, cheaper than roughtrax. I will give them a call and see if I can get a better deal with a complete set.

My LWB has had a full set on for the last 6 years or so (about 35000 miles) & show no wear at all. Just about due for next MOT so hopefully all ok there. As far as I remember, mine came from Milners. Deffo recommend fitting them as it tightens up the handling really well.

Roughtrax do have the full set. They are slightly more expensive than Milners, but supply Superpro bushes which are a bit more supple and have a good rep.

Yup, I've seen roughtrax one as well, but can't really justify the price. It's not the complete Kit, but they do have the main arms.

I got a quote from a Austrlian company who sell the superpro ones, $600 AUS for everything, complete underneath.

I'm now searching for some actual Polyurethane as I think I can make them on a lathe, well only the round ones...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd have a look at the rubber replacements again if I were you. The poly bushes being much harder than rubber put too much strain on the metal parts they are attached to. As a result it's the metal that bends or wears instead of the bushings. So you end up replacing something much more expensive than the bushings.

I had full set of Milner's poly bushes installed on my front stabilizer bar and I ran the truck like that for 50000kms. The stabilizer link mounting holes in my lower wishbones became slightly elliptical and 0.6 to 0.9mm larger while the bushings remain in like-new condition. Hence, there is a play in the anti-roll links now. So it turns out I screwed up my wishbones in order to preserve the bushings.

The original vehicle manufacturers used rubber bushings for a good reason it seems.

I'd have a look at the rubber replacements again if I were you. The poly bushes being much harder than rubber put too much strain on the metal parts they are attached to. As a result it's the metal that bends or wears instead of the bushings. So you end up replacing something much more expensive than the bushings.

I had full set of Milner's poly bushes installed on my front stabilizer bar and I ran the truck like that for 50000kms. The stabilizer link mounting holes in my lower wishbones became slightly elliptical and 0.6 to 0.9mm larger while the bushings remain in like-new condition. Hence, there is a play in the anti-roll links now. So it turns out I screwed up my wishbones in order to preserve the bushings.

The original vehicle manufacturers used rubber bushings for a good reason it seems.

Good point, but I think this depends on where and the quality of replacement bushes you get. Superpro have a good reputation for aftermarket bushes.

Well I guess it depends primarily on their hardness. And I have not really seen rubber soft poly bushes. As far as reputation is concerned I am not really sure whether a large percentage of Superpro customers would make a connection between installing poly wishbone bushes and say ball joint failure an year later. IMHO poly bushes good reputation is based solely on the improved handling they provide.

Well I guess it depends primarily on their hardness. And I have not really seen rubber soft poly bushes. As far as reputation is concerned I am not really sure whether a large percentage of Superpro customers would make a connection between installing poly wishbone bushes and say ball joint failure an year later. IMHO poly bushes good reputation is based solely on the improved handling they provide.

Yep, as you've said it depends on how hard the rubber is.

I've been running the polyurethane steering rack bushes for about 7 years now, and they look brand new still and are doing no damage or anything, so am very pleased, I think at the end of the day it goes down to quality

Ordered a PU bush kit for the steering rack from Milners, quality seemed OK, not quite powerflex, but nowhere near as bad as some PU bushes I've seen.

Will probably use a similar kit when it comes to doing mine (which I don't think is far off, job for next year!)

Back