Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible head

cavanmick

Country Flag
ireland
Morning ladies and gents,
My 95 had a slight water leak a couple of weeks ago which I traced to a failing water pump. Replaced the water pump and since then it is letting water into the expansion bottle but not drawing it back in when it cools, its not even a cupfull but it's worrying me anyway, its never overheated and I have a second gauge in it so can see whats happening with temps. Im wondering is it possibly the head or something simple like a rad cap?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Think I will try, the rad was changed in december 2010, I had the genuine cap on it and changed it to the one that came with the rad, its was on it till about six months ago and I went back to original then, they could both be suspect though so will get a new one.

Try giving the car another bleed.

Cheers buddy, any particular method that I might be missing. Should add I have plenty of heat in the cab.
Thanks again.

Yeah, put the fan on full and set the windscreen to demist, also make sure the rear heater is on and blowing too..all set to max heat.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep thats the way I did it, im here in work now so might let it run for an hour or two with the cap off and everything turned on, mine is an irish spec commercial so nothi g as fancy as a rear heater...lol
Cheers

I changed the rad on mine last year after which the top hose would collapse when it cooled, it was the new rad cap was no good and fitting the original cap solved the problem

There's a possibility when your water pump wasn't working your coolant wasn't being pushed around the engine to cool it down and so it overheated or got hot without you realising. This can cause a head Gasket to fail and more severely the head. Once you get to this stage the engine will be pressurising the coolant system which could be why it's pushing coolant out into the expansion tank - This is of course worse case scenario.

The pump didnt fail completely though it was just a small leak out the drain hole on the side, I have a second gauge and watchbit like a hawk so im fairly sure it didnt get hot. Will keep an eye on it but if I neeed to change the head so be it, im a diesel mechanic so not difficult to do.

Back