Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

possibly back ! looking for a new cruiser

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Gents, couldn't keep away.
We may be having yet another fleet rearrange at chez Jonnyboy.
Possibly on the lookout for a nice one - a 100, or perhaps a 120. Budget £5 - 10k, not sure yet.
Dark interior preferred, diesel auto. No LPG station close enough to home to make it worthwhile (been there done that).Heated leather and a sunroof almost mandatory, need to look at the satnav/bluetooth/ipod facilities too, which need to be fitted solutions, not stuck onto windscreen with wires all over.
It will be used as my daily motor, going to site and regularly towing my plant trailer (usually under a tonne total) and for trips up north and over to italy once a year. In that vein it will be replacing a Galaxy we bought new, so has a lot to live up to in terms of toys/reliability etc. Mrs JB was fairly unconvinced by my two 90's and 80, too old skool for her. Will need to be as low mileage as possible.
Truthfully don't know much about the engines/fuel economy etc.
This will stay standard - no lifts/winches or any of that, it'll be an on-road one that helps me out in the snow!
Any pointers would be good please, it's all new to me.
Prices vary wildly it seems.
Straight choice between a Cruiser and a Disco 3 I think.

Please do tell-all. Thanks

Hi Johnnyboy as i recall last time you bought , fixed up , polished and sold two 95 series and an 80 in a matter of months , are you sure its not a new Galaxy you really want ?

Definitely not Shayne, been there done that one. box ticked.

Go for a 120, more economical and last better. 100's seem to suffer underneath quite badly with corrosion (including my 03 one)

Go for a 120, more economical and last better. 100's seem to suffer underneath quite badly with corrosion (including my 03 one)
Hmm interesting.
I actually have a pal has a 53 plate one in gorgeous grey with leather but he wont sell it to me (he says yet but seeing as he bought it new I cant say if and when...).
Really I preferred a 100 due to being cavernous inside.
But I hear you.
Did you sell yours Andy?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmm interesting.
I actually have a pal has a 53 plate one in gorgeous grey with leather but he wont sell it to me (he says yet but seeing as he bought it new I cant say if and when...).
Really I preferred a 100 due to being cavernous inside.
But I hear you.
Did you sell yours Andy?

No Jonny, there are a couple of jobs need doing over the winter ( including welding) but I intend to resurrect it in the spring as its the exact spec I would have chosen (no AHC) and on a decent journey its a great place to be, that said its a tad thirsty even compared with the 24V 80 auto I'm using at present, (20-22 vs 27 mpg)

Thanks Andy
Economy not great/to be expected. I do think 100's are lovely to look at though. Wonder if a 120 will be big enough for me?

Anyone know how practical it is to remove/refit seat 6 and 7 in a 120 (ad a 100 for that matter)? We only need the extra seats occasionally, with plenty notice.

Both are relatively simple, maybe the 120 is slightly easier...

Hi Johny. Rear seats are like th 80. Takes couple of min to put them in. Never fitted them in and out of a 120 though.

the 120 seats click in and out fairly easy once you get the technique/positioning right.

Yep 120 rear seats (third row) can be put in and out the car in seconds. You can either flip them up and secure them to the sides, or remove them entirely. Single person job as the seats are not that heavy. Taking them out or putting them in is very simple indeed.

hmmm.
Need to ideally put a 100 and a 120 back to back I think.

Hi Johnnyboy as i recall last time you bought , fixed up , polished and sold two 95 series and an 80 in a matter of months , are you sure its not a new Galaxy you really want ?

Are you sure its not a large brim hat and a set of stirrups you are looking for?

Apart from being bigger inside and a hungrier engine, the 100 is also a 3rd more expensive to insure compared with the 120 :)

Apart from being bigger inside and a hungrier engine, the 100 is also a 3rd more expensive to insure compared with the 120 :)
A fair point thanks, although as I have a fleet-type policy I suspect it may not affect us, but good to know, cheers.

Back