Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Potentially purchasing a LC 100

kkarlak

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, First post, be gentle....

We are considering a LC 100 to replace out recently sent back XC90 at the end of its lease. Lease costs seem to have gone stupid recently, certainly since we got this one 3 years ago...

So, rather that drop loads of money into a 3 year lease on a car we will never own, maybe an older large 4x4 could be the answer. We need a large 4x4 to tow a heavy caravan, along with large dog and folding mobility scooter in the back. It will predominantly be my wife's car, which will maybe do 8000 miles a year with up to half of that on caravan trips and touring around when pitched up.

Firstly, have prices rocketed recently, I am sure when I first ventured a look into the LC 100 over 6 months ago, prices seemed a lot lower than now. Seen an 04 V8 for an asking price of 18K !!!! with 98k miles - seems a lot to me.

Diesel or petrol ? Head says diesel, heart says V8. I guess the diesel may tow better, but cant imagine that big V8 is short of grunt. Also, thinking longer term as the diesel is further vilified, how many more towns will start banning them or make you pay handsomely for the privilege to drive there.

Will hit the search area to do a lot of historical posts to fill in the gaps. Seems Rust is the main enemy when going to view and aircon pipes.

Would it be worth getting a AA/RAC inspection ? Wife suggested it, but my feeling is that on a car of this age you could end up with a ringed A4 binder of issues they find. I guess the best bet would be take/find a knowledgeable owner or mechanic along.

Thanks in advance. :)

Can't go wrong with some sort of expert eye over your potential hole in your pocket, especially if you don't have much knowledge of LC's.
I went diesel, not regretting it.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. Out of interest : What mileage are you looking to do and what are you looking to do with it? I was in similar area this time last year and ended up going for a petrol for many reasons : they're cheaper than diesels, tend to have lower mileages, tend to be better looked after and they're a v8 - you only live once, lastly i'm doing 5-6k a year so the saving on a diesel were not enough to justify the savings and that is before you take into account the extra purchase cost & things to go wrong.
I've had a diesel 100 in the past and at best got 24mpg. The v8 did 1000miles in 48hrs a few months ago and on the motorway was getting 19mpg which i was more than happy with. I personally removed the lpg kit that was fitted to to it as i wanted just the simplicity of the V8, plus no-where near me (highlands) does lpg so kind of irrelevant.
With these it is rust rust rust. Have a google on common areas, go see some local to give you an idea of what is good/bad. For reference i paid under 5k for mine last october and its solid underneath bodywork could do with a few bits done but its not a show car, otherwise very happy with it, does everything i want it to do and makes me smile every time i drive it.

Could look for a Jap import less rust as don't use salt on the roads usually better looked after and usually a bit more in the asking price with a few more options

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back