Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power output - 140bhp?

diggerdave

I'd always understood the standard power of a UK-market Colorado with a 1KZ-TE was 123bhp

However I just looked up my car out of curiosity on a VIN decoder site:
https://en.vindecoder.pl/

It tells me that my 1997 car has 140bhp

I could believe this to be true as it has always felt fast for what it is

Is the site giving out duff info, or could it be that some UK cars had a higher output?

Same site says 178bhp for my 90 series Prado with 5VZ-FE.

http//mywikimotors.com/toyota-5vz/ says 190bhp, though it will depend on the engines particular implementation and tuning etc.

I didn't realise the petrols were so powerful. They must go like the clappers.
The 5VZ has a lot of low end torque like a diesel which is good but peak HP is much higher up the rev scale like a petrol. It is a bit of a gas guzzler though and coupled to an old style automatic gearbox it does seem grunty but slow to accelerate at times.

I don't have much to compare to though, I have really only ever driven the Prado and my car which is a 2.0 4B11 engined 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer CJ.

The 5VZ-FE's low-down grunt is OK, for example at the lights, there is certainly no delay in pickup. However peak power comes in at nearly 5ooorpm, so you've emptied the fuel tank by then! :icon-wink:

At higher road speeds, the engine just doesn't have the torque of a diesel in mid-range rpm, so acceleration is leisurely, unless you rev the guts out of it.

140 is likely bhp at the crank , all vehicles have more power at the crank . Yours feels like is has more than 123 Dave because its a swb which runs exactly the same engine as the heavier lwb .

The european spec Prado 90 which is intercooled no doubt beats 123 (at the wheels) but will still be listed the same .

My bro and i rode the same bikes a few times and one was always significantly more p0werful from stock , my explanation was one was built on a Friday (pay day) with a weekend of partying ahead and the other was built on a Monday whilst skint and hungover .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I couldn't live like that Dave , my best work always starts tomorrow ;)

At higher road speeds, the engine just doesn't have the torque of a diesel in mid-range rpm, so acceleration is leisurely, unless you rev the guts out of it.

Yeah this sums it up really well. 5000rpm is only 500rpm from redline and anyhow you'll never get there in an old auto as it will change up well before then unless you drop it into 2 or L.

Reliable engine so far though, mine has done 378,700km so far!

I imagine the newer 4L V6 is better in terms of power distribution and economy.

Back