Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power tools

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
All

I know we have some manual types on here (me certainly included lol).
I have two Makita drills with problems, like fixing things, but its normally two stroke/four stroke stuff that I do (being a landscaper).
I really begrudge the chuckawayability of things like power hand tools. But reading around labour charges preclude most repairs. It seems spares are a-plenty and cheap, but you need to diagnose correctly. Hence this post.....
So I have a bottom-end 18v li-ion (don't mention the sodding batteries) BHP 453 Cordless hammer. One of my staff, now known as "retard", was caught using it as a screwdriver - you know, drill wont drive anymore so quarter turn manually then screw back for more and repeat. Now all it does is smoke and drive slowly......looks like it can't be a brush pack as there isn't one listed....but I need to know what he's fecked.

Second one is an 18v li-ion (don't mention the batteries!!!) BHP 452 Cordless hammer. This one is a decent one. But when drilling this one "sticks" - ie it makes a noise but doesn't rotate. Kind of like the noise they make when they hammer but it happens irrespective of hammering or not. If you hold the chuck slip ring it works.....sometimes if you play about a bit with the speed switch it works.

I only bought the cheapo as a spare and a way to get a battery plus added value for nowt, oh, and cos the decent one had a problem. That was 2 yrs ago....

Anyone got a clue on the symptoms?

TIA

The second one sounds very much like a section of teeth are missing, stripped off one of the transfer wheels.
A lot of them are nylon, to keep noise down, but also tend to strip.

Gra

Does it have a screwdriver setting with torque adjustments?? If so might be the slip clutch?? Had a bosch drill a few years back that used to get stuck but it was the clutch at fault.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is sorted now - I spoke to a spares supplier/repairer. New gearbox on the way for the chattery/sticking one, along with a new set of brushes while I am busy, and for the smoky one, a new motor.
There's not much to these things - I spent £80 delivered on the bits and I reckon they will take 1 hr max for both to overhaul. Compared to about £75 for a new "bare" tool - which is what I was going to do, it's a no brainer cos then I have two drills working again.
Have to wait about 6 days though as nobody carries spares stock - has to be ordered in from Makita then shipped to me.

Not sure Brian, but you can't order direct from Makita it has to go via a retailer. Retailers not carrying any stock of spares as they don't want to tie up cash in slow moving items - seeing this everywhere - power tools, machinery, petrol machinery, cars, you name it.

Makita

14930 Northam St., La Mirada, CA 90638, USA (714) 522-8088

Not yet, I need a longer snorkel.

Makita has factories in the UK (Telford)

I took a load of my faulty 18v lithium batteries back and they put them on their tester which showed what the fault was and how many times they had been charged. Got most of them replaced free of charge. :icon-biggrin:

Whats the problem with the li-ion batteries ???

I've got de-walt kit with them, some of the batteries are nearly 3 years old now with no complaints.
Drill ,impact driver and nail gun get used almost every day. Nail gun continuously as I spend most of my time fencing.

Very common fault with the earlier 18v lithium Makita batteries where by they just stop charging and throw up warning lights on the charger. Supposedly this was fixed and the later batteries were problem free but this remains to be seen. :thumbdown:

I've got 3 of the batteries to run my drill, impact driver and torch.

When these tools/batteries need replacing I'm going back to Dewalt! :icon-smile:

Last edited:
Replaced my circular saw with the latest generation cordless de-walt the other week fantastic bit of kit, the 4ah batteries last for ages too.

I'd recommend the nail gun to anyone thinking of replacing their paslode, don't have to keep cleaning and servicing it and no gas cartridge nozzle to freeze up when its cold.

interesting all of that - especially after the dewalt stuff went sooooo downhill a few years ago - almost diy quality which is when I went over to Makita.
I love my Paslode guns - but they do need tlc.
Got a link to the DW one?

Its a dcn690m2 . The multi nail function is great when banging the feather edge up, slightly heavier than the paslode but quite well balanced. Sinks the 90mm nails into hardwood without any hesitation. No need for an allen key to adjust the pressure/depth either

Take the same nails as the paslode you can buy the gasless ones if you shop about I end up giving my gas away to other people on site now. Always handy if you want a favour in return lol

I used to get fed up with the paslode playing up when it was a little dirty and walking around with gas canisters in my pockets on cold days. Great guns when they're working properly though.

I'm looking at getting a 10-12kg 110v breaker anybody recommend one or even have one for sale??

Still wouldn't recommend the cheap de-walt stuff but no complaints about the contractor grade stuff. Metal gears in the drill rather than that plastic crap etc.

Back