Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado Import Issues!

deece

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All, I posted here a few weeks back about buying a 97 prado SWB... Which I did, I should be over the moon with it but its been no end of problems getting it into Jersey Channel Islands.

The car has the usual import criteria done, rear fog light and speedo is in miles etc. the normal required changes however Jersey vehicle standards are telling me it hasn't had an SVA test done in the UK. They are asking me to pay an extra £450 on top of all the other charges, I've already paid £1300 so far ! They have said that the DVLA in UK has no record of it? Is it possible to register a Japanese import into the UK without a Import SVA test done?

:cry:
Dave

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about all the trouble you are going through.

The SVA test is now replaced with an IVA test, you can read through https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/overview for more details. There are some exemptions noted, not sure if you qualify for those or not.

regards

Sounds like the French rules! OK for genuine UK car but anything from Japan, Oz or S. Africa = whole heap of hassle. They need the same type of test here...but glass needs to be changed, headlights (no EU stamp) all sorts of things. It is possible but car has to be 20 or 25 years old..........I think. Might be bull pooping you, but thats how I understand it here. No Grey Imports........

But the car was imported in 2004 into the UK so surely it would have had a SVA test done then? I'm now importing it into Jersey and they're asking for the UK SVA which doesn't seem to exist ?! Also its changed owner s 3 times in the UK surely each time the log book change they would have said where is the SVA?

But the car was imported in 2004 into the UK so surely it would have had a SVA test done then? I'm now importing it into Jersey and they're asking for the UK SVA which doesn't seem to exist ?! Also its changed owner s 3 times in the UK surely each time the log book change they would have said where is the SVA?

Do you have any of the original import papers? Maybe just call the dvla and ask for a copy of the original test/ reg ?

Do you have any of the original import papers? Maybe just call the dvla and ask for a copy of the original test/ reg ?
I don't have any of the original import papers the seller didn't supply them. He's the guy on eBay that has 3 prados at the moment. I've called him and he said it must as it has been registered in the UK, but he doesn't have any him self so he's not really being helpful at all.. Just my luck last import was rotten and this one has paperwork issues..

The Jersey DVLA called the UK DVLA who apparently said it hasn't had a SVA inspection and must have "slipped through the net" whatever the hell that means :triumph:... I just cant understand how its possible that a car imported into the UK in 2004 has a VC5 log book but not SVA and has been owned by 3 people and its never come up before...I will try call them tomorrow but all I get is robots talking to me..

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you ran the number plate through here to see if anything comes up https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=1.14500599.1148559352.1463510757

Maybe the number plate has been changed since the test was done ?

I found the dvla in Swansea very helpful after a few false starts and misdirection while they found the right guy to advise me .

Hi Shayne/Deece.
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I have a 1997 Prado import that was registered in the UK in 2005 and I found it difficult enough getting insurance for it when I purchased it in February this year, even though it has been in the country the last 11 years and insured by the previous and only owner ever since the import date. I hope you manage to get it sorted out soon, without too much expenditure.
Thanks for the link to the dvla site on the MOT's Shayne, it's been interesting to check through my Prado's history somewhat.

Cheers, Simon

Hi All, I posted here a few weeks back about buying a 97 prado SWB... Which I did, I should be over the moon with it but its been no end of problems getting it into Jersey Channel Islands.

The car has the usual import criteria done, rear fog light and speedo is in miles etc. the normal required changes however Jersey vehicle standards are telling me it hasn't had an SVA test done in the UK. They are asking me to pay an extra £450 on top of all the other charges, I've already paid £1300 so far ! They have said that the DVLA in UK has no record of it? Is it possible to register a Japanese import into the UK without a Import SVA test done?

:cry:
Dave
Hi how's it going. I'm also in Jersey did you get a Cruiser in the end?

It wouldn't need an SVA if it was over 10 years old when imported.

It then needed to have an MOT. The changes you describe were to get it through its UK mot test.

Sounds like it slipped through the net......

Is it still UK registered? If not, re-register it in the UK as its over 10 years old then register it in Jersey.

Pete.

Hey Guys, yep had to do SVA test in Jersey as UK had no record of it! Cost £420 on top of the extortionate import duties ... then things went from bad to worse with the car.. one being a cracked cylinder head which is being sorted now.. Hopefully have it next week, what a nightmare!

Hey Guys, yep had to do SVA test in Jersey as UK had no record of it! Cost £420 on top of the extortionate import duties ... then things went from bad to worse with the car.. one being a cracked cylinder head which is being sorted now.. Hopefully have it next week, what a nightmare!
Hi bud sorry to here that, let me know when it's all sorted would be good to catch up

Back