Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Grj76k what's it worth thread

Mike M

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,

Ive been contemplating a change from the 76 series to a V8 troopy for sometime now but haven't done much about seeing it through for various reasons. One is I don't really know what sort of value to put on the 76 as it has quite a few mods and it's been a proper labour of love over the last 5 years I've owned it plus I sourced and shipped it from Japan with the help of an agent.

It's a 2015 30th anniversary GRJ76K 4.0 litre petrol V6.
Factory winch
BFG ATs all round stock size (31s)
Front and rear factory lockers
Fujitsubo stainless exhaust
AFN bullbar
Ironman side steps and bush rails.
Kaymar rear bar and spare wheel mount.
Frontrunner slimline roof rack.
Safari Snorkel
2" Snake racing rear wheel spacers
Headlamp protectors
Bonnet protector
Terrain tamer heavy duty clutch
Terrain tamer 5th gear mod
Led light bar
Android head unit with integrated reverse camera and dash cam
Door speaker pods front and rear from cruiser consoles with cup holders.
Rear fog light conversion into existing upper tail light unit using spare slot.
Sound deadening throughout cabin, doors, rear quarters including roof
Power point added to rear boot area with USB and cigarette socket.
Factory towing harnesses (still to be installed)
Fully undersealed when it was brought into UK in 2018. Checked and topped up regularly with corrolan wax. All doors, cavities, sills wax oiled from import.
Serviced every 6 months.
Ikamper skycamp 2 rooftop tent and annexe.

Has around 43k on the clock, was an auction grade 4 point something, would need to check the sheet - having covered 4700miles.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My thoughts are somewhere between 40 & 50k but there's so little of these in the UK, it's quite tricky.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• IMG20220910174009.jpg
    IMG20220910174009.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220527_112416.jpg
    IMG_20220527_112416.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 35
Only info I can offer is against the sale of my FJ. As like any vehicle the mods count for very little value wise. They do make it more attractive to buyers if they want them. I sold for a little more than the vehicle cost new, landed and registered UK, There was a lot more money invested in terms of mods.

A good price guide is mobile.de as there are more similar vehicles for sale in Europe. Also have a look at what RHAS has for sale (new) in the UK to give you an idea. There was a 30th 76 for sale a couple of years back for about £35k on a NE England dealer.

If you want any info on personal import for a Troopy send me a message.

Being a former troopy owner, I can't understand why you'd want to change from a 76 to a troopy.
One of the major drawbacks of a troopy I find is the limited acces to the vehicle. Only the rear doors at the back of the truck.
I changed from a troopy to an 80 and still love the accessability all around. (And of course the fantastic 24v diesel engine)
As for the price, I bought my troopy completely overland prepared for the purchase cost of the added options. 20k euros.
Sold it 7 years later for 22,5k which didn't cover the cost of the added turbo and extra set of beadlocked wheels and tyres + some more.
Last years, prices are going through the roof. So 50k sounds very reasonable to me. Rhd Uk market is smaller than lhd eu market of course and the rhd trucks offered here are much cheaper than the lhd equivalents.

Cheers for that, one of the reasons for the troopy is that I think its more suitable for fitting an Alucab roof conversion to get away from the rooftop tent and annexe setup plus they have more loading space. It would be an GXL troopy I'm after with the extra row of seats in the back although I'm seeing a few ex ambulance ones for sale with the extra door installed.
Other reasons, the V8 sound with a 3" exhaust but I also like the look of the troopy especially when kitted up.

If I could justify it, I'd keep the 76 and buy a troopy lol

Being a former troopy owner, I can't understand why you'd want to change from a 76 to a troopy.
One of the major drawbacks of a troopy I find is the limited acces to the vehicle. Only the rear doors at the back of the truck.
That’s true but the Troopy offers a lot more internal space over the 76. However the ride and equipment levels are much less than the 76 too.
Rhd Uk market is smaller than lhd eu market of course and the rhd trucks offered here are much cheaper than the lhd equivalents.
I found the opposite selling the FJ. UK people are convinced they can’t drive a LHD. When I purchased I knew the sale market was into Europe but Brexit killed that as any buyer had to pay duty and VAT on the purchase price, I lost multiple solid enquiries once that was realised.

Cheers for that, one of the reasons for the troopy is that I think its more suitable for fitting an Alucab roof conversion to get away from the rooftop tent and annexe setup plus they have more loading space. It would be an GXL troopy I'm after with the extra row of seats in the back although I'm seeing a few ex ambulance ones for sale with the extra door installed.
Other reasons, the V8 sound with a 3" exhaust but I also like the look of the troopy especially when kitted up.

If I could justify it, I'd keep the 76 and buy a troopy lol
Are you aware that both Alu-Cab and Alu-Innovations offer a roof conversion for the 76?
Dara ant Tuff-Trek recently fitted one to a 76 so might be worth a chat?
IMG_3303.jpeg

And the Alu-Innovations’ one

IMG_0388.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice, yeah I was aware of the Alu-Cab version for the 76 but havent seen Alu-innovations before.

The motivation to do it to the 76 isn't there really, five years of ownership it's probably a new project, new challenge I'm looking for.

How about a 79 single or double cab and a globe camper unit?
I have such a unit on a ford ranger. It's fantastic (even on a ford) to live in. Lot of weight on the rear end.
Screenshot_20230629-141857_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back