Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado Vs Amazon

'It was a little bit frightening, like kung flu flighting...'

AndrewT said:
Karl,

Sadly I will be in the Pyrenees at the weekend, but I would also need 4 Amazon drivers to sit in mine to balance the weight just to make it fair ......

But it would sure be an interesting test..

Alternatively, you could follow me, if you didn't have to stop for diesel all the time :0)

Following you wouldnt be a issue with the twin tanks full of cooking oil ;)

Id break down before i got out of the uk anyway.Thats if i make it off my drive.

Seriously, would they stand a chance agaist a 80??? Ive seen a couple in mud and they didnt get far at all.

Seriously... Honest.

I have been very impressed with mine, ok it's fairly modified and I haven't ever been worried and the ATRAC has worked faultlessly.

My last 4x4 was a merc g-wagon and it was awesome too, but on balance I think the Prado has the edge.

A lot of traction issues are down to the driver.

I better not mention the name of the driver then......... :shifty:

This ATRAC is traction control i take it?? Give it a couple of years and im sure people will be taking them off due to issues.

ATRAC = Always Trouble. Really, Ask Crispin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now if that doesn't reel in a really big fish Rob, I will have to change my bait.

Bet he's sitting there gnawing at the stumps he used to call fingers :lol:

Chris

Picking on Crispin is not fair :naughty:

One truck with a snag..... I won't name names in the 80 camp :whistle:

Should I suggest we are both wrong.... When you can get a new hi-lux for 18k ???

Not picking on Crispin, just his ATRAC

Naw it's one of those big things that doesn't fit in an Italian mountain village and blocks the road for ages !!! :eusa-whistle: :

Actually I don't think that Crispin has had a problem with his ATRAC. You can't blame the car when it's driver error. :shock:

Chris

karl webster said:
I better not mention the name of the driver then......... :shifty:

This ATRAC is traction control i take it?? Give it a couple of years and im sure people will be taking them off due to issues.
I think this is happening already ?

The way I see ATRAC, is, it waits until your wheels are slipping before it does
Go into trouble with all your armour.
ie, all diffs and hubs locked.

You can't beat locked hubs, and locked diff''s.
Locked center, locked rear and locked front if you have it.

3 locked diff's and tyres aired down to 12 to 15 psi will see you through a lot of sticky soft stuff.

The thing with TCS is, it waits until your wheels are slipping before it does any thing.
It could all be too late by then.

Gra.

I doubt you can disconnect ATRAC as it is part of the ABS system.

You would never use it on its own to get through a technical section, but what it does do, is it gives you a locker equivalent for the front and back. LC2 & LC3 only have a rear diff locker.

As it is part of the ABS the reaction time is very quick and because it does stop wheel spin it is considered much more trail friendly.

The snag with axle lockers is that it does what it says and continues to spin the front wheel that has no traction ripping the surface and losing power. ATRAC puts all the power to the wheel with traction.

Most importantly though, it still allows you to steer, which is often lost with a front locker engaged.

The down side for the 80's is that not all had lockers fitted front and rear.

And before anyone gets excited about the centre diff lock, all that does is turn the truck into a series land rover where the power is locked 50/50 front and back.

And all this helps make the Prado better than the Amazon... Because wheel spin on a delicate 80 front axle could be expensive :0)

Except the 100 series amazon has ATRAC as well .... Not the same generation as the 120 / 150 but ATRAC nonetheless :lol:

No ATRAC on an 80 series Amazon, the original Amazon you might say :) 120's basically have an 80 series front diff in the rear, so I don't think that nets a positive for the 120 ;) ATRAC is good for short duration traction loss especially if there's no centre diff viscous coupling and can be quite impressive compared to open diffs but ATRAC is not in the same class as being fully locked, I've tried both, back to back. The wheel with no traction won't spin wildly when fully locked, it will turn at the same speed as all the other wheels, which will probably be at a speed consistent with progress. The braked ATRAC wheel on the other hand will be dragging along, I wonder which is really doing the most damage seeing as neither was getting a good grip on anything in the first place :)

Prado - Playdo = something kids play with. :lol:
Amazon - built women (usually in Africa or South America) = something adults play with. :drool:

simple enough? :whistle:

Crushers said:
Prado - Playdo = something kids play with. :lol:
Amazon - built women (usually in Africa or South America) = something adults play with. :drool:

simple enough? :whistle:
Got it in one Crusher :thumbup:

Right, I have read all the comments regarding tha ATRAC so thanks.

The only post I understand is crushers. So, thanks for a honest,true and easy to understand explanation crushers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back