Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prop slip yoke play

Rob

Garage
I have symptoms that suggest that the rear prop on the truck has a UJ problem, the rear output seal on transfer case gone twice in very short amount of time so I would like to get to the bottom of this before I replace the transfer case rear output bearing and seal. I have not removed the prop yet but I have found that there is radial and angular play in the prop. It is minimal but it is there, I would say its about 0.5 to 1 degree of angular play and you can move the prop up and down a small amount when your under the truck. The FSM does not specify radial and angular tolerances only total runout which will only show up if the prop is bent. So do I need a new prop?

It could just be out of balance.

They only way to tell if you need a new one to remove and inspect it.

Paul

I am just about to remove it, I know how to check the UJs but I am unsure how to determine if the slip yoke is still usable. Also if it were out of balance how would I go about checking this and getting it balanced?

Hi

I have often found that failure in a recently fitted seal is caused by a wear groove in the shaft where the old seal has run. Ploishing the shaft does not cure the problem. "speedi sleave" do a repair tube in the form of a thin walled tube which presse over the old shaft. Each comes with it's own fitting kit. I do not think an unbalaced prop would cause a seal failure but poor output bearing might. If you replace the yolk/prop bearing all should be fine as long as no vibration. You can get your prop balanced otherwise.

Frank

When I took it off the slip yoke seemed fine, as in I could not get any play in it so I think that would mean its OK. Got all the old grease out of it though so now it can compress, this could have contributed to the seal failing.

Frank, the last time I took it apart the shaft was fine so I expect that its still fine 20k miles later.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back