Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prospecting for a Land Cruiser for our family!

winterhalder

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello all,

I am shopping for a Land Cruiser hence seeking out a forum to research and exchange advice.

I have a Toyota GT86 which does fit the entire family! Having researched other 4x4 style vehicles, I have settled on a Land Cruiser as a second car (hoping they will look good together). I've mostly been looking through Auto Trader with a 30k budget with a need list of: 7 seats, dual Isofix in middle row, no smoke/pet history, LC3 and above, 3L and above - any other features are desired not essential. I'm torn between 2000's model well used lot's of features or 2010's model likely less features but more modern. Only really keen on black or white colour (depends on the rest of the styling such as wheel colour/size).

I'm going to become a supporting member and look through some posts today - I look forward to getting to know some of you. I'm based in Essex.

Thanks,

Phil.

What kind of driving at you doing? None of them are especially suitable for short journeys, but the 150's with a DPF are even less suitable.

I didn't get a notification, hence my delay - this is going to be a second family car for occasional into town and longer trips (100 miles).

What is a 150?

With the difficulty in local viewing, I am after two critical measurements:
  1. with all seven seats upright, how much depth is left in the boot? centimeters please
  2. for middle row, can an adult sit in the middle of two isofix fitted child seats?
Should we go newer with less features (LC2 and below, 2.8 litre and below...) or older with higher features?

Thanks.

I think a land cruiser and a gt86 make a good pair. ;)
IMG-20210826-WA0006.jpg

Very nice - are you on the GT86 forums as well?

My wife likes the idea of an Audi Q7 - but I'm trying to stick with JDM.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am, though not super active these days. The GT86 was my first adventure in proper car modding, it's a little addictive.

There is no landcruiser that works in the same space as a q7. So I guess you need to make up your mind as to where you are going and how. If you want a q7, you should get one.

From a trim standpoint, the landcruisers run about 10 years behind current spec.

As GoK suggests, decide what you want the vehicle for, and what you are willing to live with. The Q7 will be miles ahead as a road car, hands down. If you intend to tow, or venture off tarmac, then the Toyota is certainly in your radar. I have driven a 2002 model cruiser daily for 13 years now, and would have nothing else, but it works for its dinner part time.

A 120 is the 2003-2010 generation, a 150 is the 2011 on, with a face-lift in 2018. Even the newer ones are built like a truck (ladder chassis) instead of the more car like Q7, so road manners, noise and performance will be world's apart. If I was spending that money, I'd buy a slightly older cruiser, and put good money into rust prevention, and a couple of goodies... but I'm weird

Why does everyone want an Audi Q? Didn't @paulnanrod have one of those before his 120 - he could probably tell us why he upgraded to an LC.

Sorry - didn't get the notification until I logged back in. Yes, @karl2000 I had an Audi Q5, so the smaller of the Q7. I wanted a big old truck. Lived in NZ for a few years and decided I wanted to go back to their style of vehicles and my wife said I'm not a famer so no Hilux.

For me I'm happy and comfortable (prefer even) driving a 14 year old land cruiser over a 6 year old Q5. Wouldn't go back, although have considered a newer XC90 when dealing with age related issues, but should have those sorted this week so that will probably go away....

As has been mentioned - the drive of a Q5 over the land cruiser is much more car like so nicer if you do a lot of driving. I do 10-20k miles a year and still prefer the drive (noise) of the land cruiser but I can understand why someone wouldn't. We tow a caravan which the land cruiser is a different league to the Q5.

Winterhalder - you mentioned your wife has seen the Q7. That is where a lot of problems lie. We towed our caravan to near Bordeaux in the summer and my wife started out talking about an XC90 as it would be smoother etc than a land cruiser. 2000 miles later and she muttered something about it being more comfortable to tow over that journey than the Audi.....nearly a compliment

Good luck...

Finally got one! Deposit paid, being delivered next week. Dropped the budget quite a bit, now have funds for mods!
  • 2004 (04 reg)
  • D-4D LC5 8 SEATS 3.0
  • 99.5k miles
  • full service history
  • single owner
Home - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] any good?

I'm after a full roof rack (and ladder) so we can sit on it in the summer.

In the process of ordering dashcam, custom plates, tracker - thinking about new mudflaps, chunky wheels - anything other suggestions?

side-view.jpg

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a solid base vehicle. As said before spend some money underneath on rust treatment.. I know it's money you can't see but you need it before spending on goodies you can see

+1 on the rust treatment. Whats it like underneath and in the MOT history?

What do you mean by custom plates - number plates or bashplates?

What kind of wheels / tyres are you thinking of?

Good Luck!

Recently - lamp repositioning, service brake binding, brake hose 'slight' corrosion, brake pipe covered in grease...

It has surface rust underneath, not thought to be any more than that.

Recommendations for treatment please? I am in Essex but would travel farther for this...

If you're a hands on type person get it up on 4 ramps and give it a good clean underneath then you can see what you're dealing with!

There's loads of threads on here for treatments, one resurrected recently.
This is one thread that has no ending, but the same answers over again.

Back