Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Protecting the undercarriage

Donagh

Country Flag
ireland
Hi all,

One of my friends got his j120 undercarriage sealed by a guy for €600. He is quite happy with it but I'm hoping to find a do it yourself solution for a lot cheaper. Has anyone ever tried it before and have any tips like what sealer to use and where to apply it?

Theres quite a lot of threads on here about this, so you might need to do a bit of research to find whats best for you.

Be weary of places that will spray the whole underside of the car with black underseal - it will look very nice when you first see it but it hides whatever is underneath.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the the reply, I would be skeptical of most things so I'm going to proceed with cation. I was thinking of trying a bit of Hammerite Underbody Seal.

Hammerite Underbody Seal

I'll have a look at the other threads first though, can you point one out for me? I tried a search there but I didn't get anywhere.

Also I have some bad rust on the fuel tank at the back, it doesn't look good.

Anything is better than nothing but the key to it is to degrease everything , then scrub it , power wash it , wire brush it then degrease it some more before you start .

Rust converter before whatever top coat and Aquasteel is my preference .

Search for rustproofing.

Everyone has different ideas, and it largely depends on if you want to get stuck in and do it yourself, or take it somewhere and trust someone!

I've used the Hammerite underbody seal that you mention with the added Waxoyl, after loads of filthy prep work and Granville rust treatment.
The cans with the right attachments are made for connecting a compressor air line for general all over spraying and getting into cavities/chassis rails.
Proper prep is essential, or results will be a waste of time/money, and own efforts often surpass some of the so called 'professionals' that just cover everything up
As Karl says, everyone has different ideas on how to go about it and products to use.
There are, as was mentioned, loads of threads/info on the subject, - a lot on the 120 forum, where rust can be an issue.
I know, I have one, although rust is not an issue now as some was caught and dealt with by some cutting and welding replacement inner and outer cills, at at my local classic car workshop, (more experienced/sympathetic than a general welder who doesn't normally do paint) the rest for onward treatment by myself without issues.
God luck on whatever you decide, and unless you are under cover, a job for better weather.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, check out Underbody kings in Navan on facebook.
In one of their videos they use a galvanizing paint called Zinga that looks good.
There is also Galavafoid paint been around for years.

Galvafroid used to be good stuff many years ago, then it changed.
Never used Zinga, but has favourable reports.
With any galvanizing paint, it needs to be on bare rust free metal for best results.

Zinga is excellent stuff , can is very heavy because of the zinc content . We all know there is no better way to rustproof steel than to have it acid dipped clean then hot dip galvanized , but what do you do when you cut a bit off a fully galvanized part exposing the steel underneath .

You slap a bit of Zinga on it .

Yep, needs to be stripped for proper application otherwise no point or long term benefit.

I was recommended to try the sheep oil thing, lanoguard and it's been amazing. It's definitely put a water tight coat on the metal. I know a few people here use it and are happy with it.

Depends also on how bad things are to start with. 120's are not young anymore.

Here is a link to the stuff

EASY UNDERBODY RUST PROTECTION

I like the look of that Lanoguard for DIY maintenance especially as they offer a wand to get inside the frame .

So for me its going to be aquasteel to convert and make everything black and pretty , then Lanoguard to keep things that way .

Protects everything while hiding nothing .

Back