Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

quick question!

MrPaul

Looking for an opinion on the Nissan Patrol. Reliability? Cost of repairs etc. Anyone have any experience of them.

No offense intended :)

Good strong truck - reputed to have a stronger drivetrain than an 80, so about the best you can get out the box :thumbup: But the engine options aren't great - mostly 4.2 N/A diesel with not enough power for normal road use or a 3l TD which has a reputation for going pop.
Or you can get big petrol variants (latest one is a 4.8l I think) which has a thirst to rival Gazza at a brewery opening.

The new Patrols are the only SFA large SUV still being produced.

Reliability is pretty good (small TD engine notwithstanding). I would think cost of parts similar to Toyota in the 1st world but finding parts is reported to be more difficult in more remote places, which is how Toyota got its reputation. But this is hearsay - I would think Nissan dealerships are widespread.

Not much wrong with them in my view :thumbup:

look out for rot especially behind the plastic trims even on later trucks, i have seen a 2002 with holes in the sills

the Patrol was my preffered option when i was`looking round, in my opinion the 2.8td is the best bet but not the quickest. I really like the split rear door idea, locker as standard on some models.

Parts are similiar price / availability as Toyota but there seems to be more modidication parts available when i was looking.

I know someone with the monster Patrol (I have no idea of model numbers etc) in a fairly new spec and he has to tow a fuel bowser behind him. It's diesel and the consumption was described as eye watering for no real benefit.

Chris

I thought the new patrols were all round independant suspension.

The new Patrol employs HBMC with 4-wheel independent suspension.
Oh dear, looks like they have gone down the LR route...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Still looking for a LC and happened across the Ford Exploror? Is it any good? Looks like they are cheap as chips.

Whilst I'm on, any info on the mitsubishi pajero?

Thank you in advance

Something tells me to stay away from the Ford, no hard evidence apart from all the tyre and cruise control issues when released, its just my perception of US 90's SUVs.

Pajero? Its got to better than the Ford for a start. Ill let someone more knowledgeable respond.

Pajero - I used to sell the imports and have owned IIRC 4 of the lwb 2.8 litre autos

great manners on road, tough trucks. very reliable with maintenance. cheap parts

smaller and you might find it a bit easier to live with day to day then say a BIG 80.

worse on fuel than my manual 80 though. seem pretty competent off road with decent tyres and suspension on them. plus i think they look nice too.

i think a cruiser would handle more extreme stuff and Pajero does not feel as solid as the 80 i drive.

Back