Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator pipe wrap?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
With the new batteries I'll be fitting, the top pipe on the radiator will be mighty close (almost touching) to the side of the battery. I was thinking of putting some exhaust wrap over the pipe to keep some of the heat away from the battery. Necessary? Something better?

I see a foil type wrap which is for water pipes but that looks more for keeping the heat away from the pipe.

Crispin said:
.... I see a foil type wrap which is for water pipes but that looks more for keeping the heat away from the pipe.
Wrap the battery in it then :thumbup:

Guess I could put it on the side of the battery if I needed.

This might do the job :thumbup:

On the side of my 3rd battery on my 80 I have a piece of weird looking aluminum, it looks like a sheet of aluminum bubble wrap and it does a superb job. I have just asked the guy I got it off what it is called, he can't remember but is going to try and find out tomorrow.... he said it's not cheap though.

Thanks Paul.

After seeing that pic, I could also just glue tinfoil to the side of the battery :)

Asbestos. It's the new wonder material and apparently there's loads of it about! :thumbup:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just this morning I saw some kind sole left a pile of sheets by the side of the road :twisted:

Gulp. Unless I can get an off-cut, it would be cheaper to get a spare battery. :(

thanks though, I'll stick with the tape and see how that goes.

How about the stuff you put behind domestic radiators :think:

Fluff???

Are you sure Chas?

Or were you thinking of socks?

Chris

Chris said:
Fluff???
Are you sure Chas?
Or were you thinking of socks? Chris
Yeah! cheap, easily obtainable, foam backed aluminium wrapped round the battery should keep the heat off OK.

Socks :think: maybe that's where all the left foot socks are, my wardrobe has loads but they are all the right foot ones.

Bat21 said:
Found it.... this is what I have on the side of my battery :thumbup:
Hi Paul and Crispin,

That looks exactly what the heat shield reflector is made out of under the 120 series.

"The part that some times rattles"

Gra.

What about using one of those heat proof pads that you would use when soldering a joint close to a wall or painted surface? Can be found in most DIY and plumbing merchants and would cover most of the side of the battery

If you go into B&Q, and head for the area where the metal is, then there are some thin light weight metal sheets of various textures.
Some thing like the stuff that has been hit 1000 times with a small ball hammer.
They come in sheets of 2 sizes,
from memory, one sheet was about 600mm square, and the other size might have been 500mm x 300mm

It was only peanuts to buy.

Just a pointer/idea

Gra.

Back