Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Random "pogo-ing" from the rear suspension - completely intermittent

mwhtc

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but right now I've been told by the wife we're going on holiday in October and we're driving. My truck needs to behave, so other than a timing belt change I really do need to address an intermittent problem I'm having with the rear.

This first showed itself in November 2021 as I was driving my wife to a hospital appointment. Baby was overdue, and we were driving and I could feel the car's suspension getting gradually bouncier. It got so bouncy that the wife joked that the car was trying to shake the baby out of her. It didn't, as it took another 3 weeks for the baby to be evicted.

Since then, it's happened about 6 times. I'm not sure of a cause, but it happens gradually. I will drive off, and over the course of say 10 minutes, the suspension will start to become bouncier. It becomes noticeable early on as a slight extra bounce. It continues though to the point where going over a man hole cover will cause the back of the car to pogo essentially. The only way to sort it out is to pull over on the flat, turn the engine off for like 20 seconds, then drive off again. Immediately after this, the car is still bouncy, but it settles down extremely quickly to how it should be driven.

When the truck is turned off, the car remains in the air. As in, the bags aren't sagging. So it can keep pressure and the compressor is filling the bags with air.

In terms of height control, twice now I've tried to adjust the height and I've only been able to raise the height of it. I can't command it to lower itself, although if I park it on a ramp it adjusts itself. So I know the truck can sit on it's arse, just not when I tell it to.

This all speaks to me to say that the height sensor on the rear is kaput. I'm going to attach Techstream to it in the next day or two to double check heights if I can, but I'm wondering if someone else has had a similar issue and if they know of a remedy for it? I know that the height sensor has a drop link which can fail, but would this cause these issues?

Not been able to get round to Techstream but I’m fairly sure now my issues are to do with the dampers/shocks rather than the height sensors.

It happened today on the motorway and I wasn’t able to do my usual pull over/turn off/turn on trick. What I did was stick the suspension fully to comfort for a minute, then back to sport for a moment, then back to where I usually have it. The pogoing stopped eventually and didn’t come back.

Shocks were an advisory on the last MOT so I’m going to budget for a pair and get them done.

Back