Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reading lights

Julian

Just had a thought, my 100 series has 2 reading lights in the overhead console. Now with all these led bulbs about has anybody thought of putting red bulbs in them, to help with night vision?

Yes that's the sort of thing, they are not on permanently just switch them on when you need them, just thought red led bulbs would not effect night vision as much a white.

Dont say good things about german stuff very often, but for some reason those red leds in a beemer seem to light things up nicely inside, almost so subtle you have to look carefully to find them.

I should have asked him when I saw him today after his dog walk
Tommo, how have you got on with them?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Didn't someone on mud put LED's in? I can't remember if those were coloured or not.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Didn't someone on mud put LED's in? I can't remember if those were coloured or not.

He did the whole thing in LEDs including all the switch and instrument lights and all in blue. Looks impressive, if a little OTT.

Bear in mind if you're thinking about a map light with red LEDs, all your map colours will be up the creek (there red light readable maps available, certainly for military use) and so might you be if you mistake the colours :? .

I fitted some of the cheap Chinese LED units off Ebay and they're OK, the 24 LED panel in the main light and some 4 LED festoon replacements in the others. The 24 has few that have failed but still ok - much more light than standard, the 4s are nearer to standard spec brightness.

I tried them and while they worked they were brilliant but for some reason the LED's sequentially failed so i just put bulbs back in.

Tommo&Claire said:
I tried them and while they worked they were brilliant but for some reason the LED's sequentially failed so i just put bulbs back in.

i think led's are quite sensitive to voltage, so if getting more than their 12v, they are susceptible to failure.

Plus the cheap Chinese stuff is crap. Don't waste your money unless you get a reputable brand, which is tricky enough.

You get what you pay for. :thumbdown:

Have used a lot of LED's on boats - cheap ones are rubbish. The quality ones have a voltage regulation board and can take stacks of abuse, at a price!
Also check the "colour" of the light, some(most) LED's are a harsh blue/white which is hard on the eyes. Softer white lights are available now which produce light similar to conventional bulbs.
Have a look at some of the yacht chandlery sites.

My delivery arrived from Hing Kong today. Cost me about 2 shillings and sixpence. I don't care if they have a limited life frankly. For that money I shall just keep sticking them in. In fact I might get a bulk order. Available from UK sellers now I see for the same money.
I have centre lights in already, but thought I'd stick one in the map light too. Lordy me that's bright.

IMGP4308.jpg

IMGP4309.jpg

IMGP4311.jpg

IMGP4310.jpg

The future is here and it's LEDs

Chris

Hey Chris, don't forget to ping me those details over some time - they do look nice & bright :cool:

Honestly Gav, there isn't one bloke in Hong Kong doing these there are hundreds. Try LED interior light and see what you get. Don't think mine were anything special. But found a place in Cardiff last night doing this lot. I PM Warren the details. I'll have a shufftie and find the seller again.

Back in a mo

Right back again

Blimey, there are load. Just take your pick Gav. try LED replacement bulb. I'm falling over the hits

Was there any other links I promised you? Kelly Kettle and Maya wood. Light My Fire was the name of the sparky stick available widely. I know you were eying up my gadgets.

Chris

I'm sure there's hundreds of them which is why I'd like to know what you bought so's I knows its the right fit :cool:

Axe intel, you forgot the axe intel :drool:

But Gav, as I showed you, they come with multiple fittings so they fit the range of lights. Strewth do I have to everything around here?

Try this. This one fits the roof light http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Panel-24-SM ... 27b7111a38

and this one the map light

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-18-Whit ... 414eefc0c8

Honestly Gav it's not hard to work out. The festoons bulbs are standard bullet shaped ones and the map is a mini bayonet fitting. If you had taken those fittings from me that you so ungraciously rejected when I offered them, you could have ordered ANY of the LED panels and they would have fitted your lights That's why I was TRYING to give them to you. But Ooooohhh Noooooo not Gav :snooty: :snooty:

The axe is the small forest axe from Granfors Bruks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bushcraft-Gransfo ... 336389a245.

I'll leave you to find the best price. Can you manage that? :thumbup:

Dad

i'm a fireman, we have red LED lights in the back of our pumps, they don't affect the driver's (usually me) vision anywhere near as much as white light.

Back