Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ready for another year......or is it?

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Put the truck through the MOT yesterday and it sailed through without even a whiff of an advisory.... :thumbup:

Even the MOT tester commented on how well the LCs are put together and how well they age, especially since mine is nearly 14 years old. He did however wonder why 'Yota never bothered to underseal any of the LCs. Mine is covered in surface rust and looks much worse than it actually is, though a good session with a wire brush and some Kurust(sp?) or similar wouldn't go amiss.

Some of you may know that I'm having a "seatbelt" dilemma..... see here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12521

In some ways, I think what a great car - passed another MOT without a murmur and it has already served our family well for nearly 8 years. The other part of me thinks, it's probably the best time to sell; full 12 months MOT, fear of a "bad" winter coming on and 4X4 prices usually picking up around this time of year. Also LPG is still relatively cheap compared to petrol (but for how long?)......... :?

If I do decide to keep it, I will have to sort out the seatbelt issue first and foremost, that in itself isn't straightforward or easy. Then the truck also really *needs* the suspension renewed and I would probably go for the Ironman kit from West Coast. Due to the seatbelt issue, I've considered selling and therefore haven't pulled the trigger on the SL kit.

Deep down, I know that only I can answer this conundrum :think: , so I suppose I'm really looking for some moral support and your views......and even perhaps a bit of sympathy :violin:

Thanks in advance.

P.S. You may already know, but the MOT tester said that from Jan 2012, the MOT will change so that it will include tow bar electrics i.e. mine is fitted but never been wired in, also it will include *any* dashboard warning lights (currently only includes ABS etc.).

chadr said:
P.S. You may already know, but the MOT tester said that from Jan 2012, the MOT will change so that it will include tow bar electrics i.e. mine is fitted but never been wired in, also it will include *any* dashboard warning lights (currently only includes ABS etc.).
What if, like me, there is a tow ball but no electrics, will that be a fail or only if electrics are fitted :think:

Did a quick Google and, yes, it seems if you have a "tow bar/ball" fitted, then it should have the appropriate electrics in working order.

So perhaps the answer would be to remove the towbar/ball for the test?

Also it seems that the Cat becomes part of the test - i.e. if the vehicle should have a Cat. then then Cat must be in place. My previous Mondeo TDCi would've failed in that case as I had had a "de-Cat" pipe fitted in place of the OEM item - helped it go like the stinky stuff off a shovel.... :D

chadr said:
Did a quick Google and, yes, it seems if you have a "tow bar/ball" fitted, then it should have the appropriate electrics in working order. So perhaps the answer would be to remove the towbar/ball for the test? D
No problem, tow ball is on a 2" receiver, just slide it out :thumbup: mind you it's going to be a long time before it gets it's next MOT :(

Regs from 2012. Even if the towball has been removed the towbar electrics still have to be assessed unless the towbar brackets have been rendered unusable. The wiring will have to be assessed but there is nothing mentioned about failing on wiring that is not fitted, only security of the socket. The only time a socket will need to work is if it's a 13pin socket in which case we have to test it with a special tester and it has to illuminate the correct lights.

Seven pin sockets are not included in this test where only a visual inspection is required, this goes for all the vehicle wiring BTW. So if I tested a vehicle with a seven pin socket that had no wiring I would pass, if it has wiring I would only check the condition and security but even that is subjective so it's down to the tester's mood on the day.
MOT tester.

just crack on and get the seat belt sorted then get the lift fitted you will love it forever :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Keep it you will be hard pushed to find another vehical that is as capable as the L/C. Mine is just about to go over 190000 miles and still goes through the MOT every time first time.

Steve

Thanks fellas - I *really* do need to find a viable solution to the seatbelt issue.

I must admit that I have been looking at 100s - though I can hardly justify the extra outlay and (presumably) higher running costs either. It would be nice though..... ;)

Cheers mate - thanks for that. :)

Found these guys via Google (what would we do without it!! :roll: )

http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk/index.htm

Anybody here used them or even heard of them? Their work looks pretty good - I'll give them a ring and have a chat on Monday.

There may be light at the end of this tunnel...... :dance:

Well I gave them a ring ....and was quoted £179.90+VAT (£216) for the conversion. It's a mobile service and they will come free within the M25 (So I'm alright Jack! ;) ).

The lady on the phone was very helpful and professional, however when I asked her how and where the fixing would be mounted she wasn't sure. However in fairness, she did say that there were a few places to mount the fixing depending on how I intended to use the vehicle. The mobile fitter would discuss these with me on the day and if I wasn't happy with that, there would be no charge.

All-in-all seems pretty positive and their work seems good/OK in the pics on the website. I'll sleep on it tonight and will probably give them a ring again tomorrow to arrange a date. :thumbup:

Back