Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Really?

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
E87A6C16-1C86-4366-8C1E-08770992E485.jpeg
As I am on my annual trip to Cyprus and it looks like this will be a permanent arrangement I thought I would see what the LC market looked like. I spotted this Prado on a car lot and stopped to ask details. I’ve got to say the chassis and underbody were like new, unbelievable really for something 20 years old. Worn steering wheel gave it away a bit. Mileage was 474k km and I was assured it ran well and if I paid cash I could have it for a “Christmas “ special price of €6500.
All vehicles are expensive in Cyprus and to import one would be equally prohibitive. Something like an 06 120 would about €20k.
I guess LC’s in the UK are relatively cheap then?

...I guess LC’s in the UK are relatively cheap then?
No. That would be inaccurate. Cruisers in the UK are dead cheap.
When I bought my 2004 in 2009, I found that the UK was about 1/2 the price of continental europe, and I still see the same difference. I've always wondered why it's so cheap in good old england, but haven't sussed it out yet.

There's some very good condition 20+ year old cruisers out there though , i crawled under an unloved 80 while there and the underside was factory finish rust free . Seem a good few of them removable top swb 70 series as well , my phone is just a phone and my camera was in the hotel :shifty:

If I'm reading this right, congratulations seem to be in order? Can't say I blame you, Maria's a sweetie. :clap:
No,Rich not quite there yet on that one although I could do a lot worse. MY life has been heaven every day since we met though.

No. That would be inaccurate. Cruisers in the UK are dead cheap.
When I bought my 2004 in 2009, I found that the UK was about 1/2 the price of continental europe, and I still see the same difference. I've always wondered why it's so cheap in good old england, but haven't sussed it out yet.

Does anyone know the rules and tariffs for importing a vehicle to Cyprus ?
The cruisers maybe cheaper in the UK but older ones are no way in the same condition. There isn't a Collie in the UK in the condition this Starship mileage Prado is in, or 80 or 100.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Take a rusty one over and swap the chassis number.

TBF Frank a crusty one wouldn't get any worse out here.
Just seen an ad for a 2000 100 series, unknown mileage but looks mint and factory fresh, €17k!!! Same in UK would be £7k

I think having a Cruiser out here and not residency might be problematic, there's no cheap way of doing this.

Welcome to Cyprus Andy.

Yes cars are pricier here because taxing and import duties can be vast. In the south because of the EU vehicles have become much cheaper not far from the prices in the UK. However in the north part where I'm based its a different story still. With 50% of costs and taxes and a maximum import length of 5 years for used cars.

Being a dryer climate and vehicles like land cruisers and the Japanese vehicles are imported from Japan rust free and stay that way here too. Our only issue is lack of parts and UV damage.

As for why the vehicles are not holding up well in the Uk in my opinion having been born and raised there is more available with choice, cheap alternatives and a lack of value given to these.

As for importing a vehicle I'm sure you could import yours if your owned it for 5 years or more if moving there. There are so many rules to the game here so best to ask a expert.

Happy holidays

Last edited:
Dervis, i have a mate who spends a good part of each year in Lapta, anywhere near you ?

I visited Kyrenia area a couple of times and may need to visit the north again sometime soon for work if needed. The climate is certainly ideal for vehicles.

Welcome to Cyprus Andy.

Yes cars are pricier here because taxing and import duties can be vast. In the south because of the EU vehicles have become much cheaper not far from the prices in the UK. However in the north part where I'm based its a different story still. With 50% of costs and taxes and a maximum import length of 5 years for used cars.

Being a dryer climate and vehicles like land cruisers and the Japanese vehicles are imported from Japan rust free and stay that way here too. Our only issue is lack of parts and UV damage.

As for why the vehicles are not holding up well in the Uk in my opinion having been born and raised there is more available with choice, cheap alternatives and a lack of value given to these.

As for importing a vehicle I'm sure you could import yours if your owned it for 5 years or more if moving there. There are so many rules to the game here so best to ask a expert.

Happy holidays

How's Wed for meeting up Dervis?

I think the overall used cars business in the UK is low. But reflected in the low level of maint too.

Back