Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Bumper Bar Build

Julian said:
Nav, I have seen something like that too, my only thought would that it might be pretty heavy / would need some gas struts and it might put quiet a lot of load on the catch mechanism. But some sort of table could be good. I had had an idea of some sort or work bench might be useful, if you went for dual swing outs perhaps a table top could be mounted between them?

That might work but it would present a problem getting to the boot

I am building a swing away carrier at the mo, it was going to be swing down but after doing measurements it would be in the way when trying to use the tailgate or get in the boot.

I am doing some drawings and and mock ups and was going to get Haig engineering in Botley to quote. I am thinking of an idea where the design will be the same for 80's and 100's with only different widths (the work is in the end bits anyway and might work on both models) and if custom made then the mounts can be welded on where ever.

I am ordering the pre formed "C" channel to go across the back as once bolted on it might make everything a bit clearer with all the trims removed.

By the way, does anyone have any pictures from as many different angles as possible of an 80 rear end with the bumper end caps removed showing the rear cross member sticking out on its own?

Navraj Singh said:
Julian said:
Nav, I have seen something like that too, my only thought would that it might be pretty heavy / would need some gas struts and it might put quiet a lot of load on the catch mechanism. But some sort of table could be good. I had had an idea of some sort or work bench might be useful, if you went for dual swing outs perhaps a table top could be mounted between them?

That might work but it would present a problem getting to the boot

Nav, the top would have to be removable, I had thought about including the top into a rear draw build idea

Paul said:
I am building a swing away carrier at the mo, it was going to be swing down but after doing measurements it would be in the way when trying to use the tailgate or get in the boot.

I am doing some drawings and and mock ups and was going to get Haig engineering in Botley to quote. I am thinking of an idea where the design will be the same for 80's and 100's with only different widths (the work is in the end bits anyway and might work on both models) and if custom made then the mounts can be welded on where ever.

I am ordering the pre formed "C" channel to go across the back as once bolted on it might make everything a bit clearer with all the trims removed.

Paul, sounds like a good idea will you need to have a look at the back of a 100?

Nice build details there. I'm still making my mind up about some of the details on my own plans and deciding if I will go high clearance like on my 80 or wrap around the cross member like yours.

Mark Whiteside had a drop down wheel carrier on his 80 so he could tell you all about the problems with that idea.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Nice build details there. I'm still making my mind up about some of the details on my own plans and deciding if I will go high clearance like on my 80 or wrap around the cross member like yours.

Mark Whiteside had a drop down wheel carrier on his 80 so he could tell you all about the problems with that idea.

Not had any clearance issues with the bumper yet.....

I think you might have misunderstood what I ment about the wheel carrier.
It is a side swing arm and will not open downwards. Once you have opened the arm, it then has the ability to rotate the tyre 90 degree either clockwise or anti.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Navraj Singh said:
I think you might have misunderstood what I ment about the wheel carrier.
It is a side swing arm and will not open downwards. Once you have opened the arm, it then has the ability to rotate the tyre 90 degree either clockwise or anti.
Ok got it now.

6x3 inch channel fits and it is 10mm thick;) But you have to remove the rear cross member or trim it. Well this is what ming is made out of, should be finished on saturday. Just the wheel carrier to make then. I have the spindel coming from the states!!

Paul

Paul said:
I
.... I am thinking of an idea where the design will be the same for 80's and 100's with only different widths (the work is in the end bits anyway and might work on both models) and if custom made then the mounts can be welded on where ever...

As I have found with my TJM RB8 there are differences between the 80 and 100 rear chassis, but nothing enormous - enough to mean two separate models though.

Morning Folks,

Certainly some interesting pics of Navraj's bumper build!

I have bought some goodies in preparation for a rear bumper build for 100-series LC:

- Spindles: http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hin ... NDARD.html
- Towbar receiver: http://www.comp4x4.com/Weld-In-Receiver ... rsion.html
- Tyre Carrier Stop: http://www.comp4x4.com/1-2-Diameter-Pop ... andle.html
- Latch clamps: http://www.goodhanduk.co.uk/clamp_subty ... 1=3&sc2=12

Now the BIG question. Does anyone have any specs, measurements, drawings and by any REMOTE chance a CAD drawing???

Once I've got all the information I plan on having a local steel fabricator build the bumper for me because my welding skills are pretty much non-existent :clap:

Cherio
Gary

Gary, some extremely good links in there mate. I can feel a group purchase coming on!

Stick a location in your side bar sig and we'll see if there is anyone nearby who can help with the welding.

I want to build one that's removable so I can have it on for special occasions, but not in the way when I just want to pop to the shops. Rear carriers drive me nuts.

Chris

Gaz88 said:
It's been mentioned on here before but just in case you don't know, if your 100 series is a UK model you can only legally tow using a type approved tow bar here and the in the rest of Europe. That applies to all vehicles registered after march 1998 that have european whole vehicle type approval or something like that. AFAIK only imports escape that bit of legislation.

Back