Rear bumper build 80 series.

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Well here is the first picture

24042010036.jpg

It is the only picture I have so far!!

Plan was to keep the rear cross member, but the plan changed :shock: I do not have any pictures of the bumper yet as it is not finished, but will be soon!!

Problem came when the 120x240x10mm box would not fit over the cross member. So we cut the cross member off. In doing so I wanted to add some strenght for when it was removed, so we 120mm box, with 10mm walls. The reason for this was it was thick enough to drill and tap for when I add the rear winch!! So for now I do not have a tow bar or recovery points, other than the new box section.

The bumper is designed to do a job and not look good as it will hit trees!! Also I need to keep tow bar mounts, but the main bit (orignal tow bar) will be removible, but keeping the NATO hitch on at all times.

Paul

You might need to be careful you don't bend that if you put a winch on it :shock: :lol: You could still trim the chassis ends, just drill new holes for the tow bar? You can chisel out the old captive nuts if they're tacked in and put new ones in at the new positions by having a strip of steel with the nuts tacked on top. That's what I did for my 80 bumper although the spacing wasn't for a tow bar.

I could trim them Jon, but I don't want to. If I do trim them I think it would be too easy to smash the light. From the orignal towbar I will just weld the orignal mounts onto the bumper, this will just leave the angle iron hanging down a little. I have had it like this for 2 years!!

I agree that 10mm was a bit over kill, but it was at hand!! It is a nice bit work shop. I just drove the LC stright in :)

Paul

Looking forward to seeing pics of the bumper :)

Picture of said bumper, not quite finished yet, but it will be in time for Lincomb ;) But might not have the wheel carrier on by then.

15052010043.jpg

15052010042.jpg

15052010041.jpg

15052010040.jpg

Thoughts?

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Thoughts?

Wrong (yellow) stickers? :lol:

Looks good so far. Wish I had the space, skill, time and most of all, guts for stuff like this :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul_Humphreys said:
Thoughts?
I thought Jon built stout accessories but you sir, you have raised the bar to a new level... Trees will fear you & your truck Paul... :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the wheel carrier on it :)

Crispin said:
Wrong (yellow) stickers? :lol:

I will get a new one at Lincomb.

Gavlad said:
Paul_Humphreys said:
Thoughts?
I thought Jon built stout accessories but you sir, you have raised the bar to a new level... Trees will fear you & your truck Paul... :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the wheel carrier on it :)

I always like things to last!! The pictures do not do it justice :shock:

Paul

Paul interested in how the winch wil sit etc. I have to build one myself in due course. Which winch will you be going for? And, is room ok or a bit tight.
Does the winch have its own plate or does it just bolt to the bumper?

I haven't even started measuring up yet. But I AM having a rear winch. Why, cos I can.

Go for it. Watching with interest.

Crispin, can I have a new sticker please.

Chris

The winch will sit on a plate between the bumper and the big bit of box in the very first picture. Yes there is room for another 12000lb winch.

Paul

Looks very stout Paul but the side wings could do with coming up to the body line if you still have the option? Like this:

15052010042.jpg

i did think of that Jon, but it will do for now. I have other plans for a years time ;)

Paul

Well wheel carrier made :) I will post picture when it is painted (tomorrow).

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul
Will you be painting that with jam and a stick too :whistle: :D

Bat21 said:
Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul
Will you be painting that with jam and a stick too :whistle: :D

Yes :dance:

Same paint as the bumper was used. It is a very hard paint, hard to get a good finish unless you spray it. It has a working time of 60 mins when mixed. But then Mark drove into by bumper it did not damage the paint, but wrote off his bumper!!

Paul

Pictures, the number plate light is a temp untill I get the ones I want.

Paul

DSCF2829.jpg

DSCF2830.jpg

DSCF2831.jpg

DSCF2832.jpg

DSCF2833.jpg

DSCF2834.jpg

DSCF2835.jpg

DSCF2836.jpg

DSCF2837.jpg

DSCF2838.jpg

What did you use for the wheel carrier spindle/hinge thing - where do you get them from - how much do they cost - are they weld on or bolt on ?
Can you make me one?

I do like the look of the spare in the centre rather than off to one side like my Yota one.

Looks really good Paul :clap:

Back