Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Bumper

For HID you need head light washers, auto-leveling and the correct reflector and lens design (ie. projector) to be legal.

Id be interested in seeing any info about the legality of LED lights. I know a particular MOT tester I went to once wanted to fail the LC because it had LED bulbs in some of the lights (dont go to him anymore! :eusa-snooty:).

Again, I am just the messenger.

Issue 16 of Mainbeam News.

New MoT requirements state:-

"If a vehicle is fitted with HID or LED h/lamps, it may be fitted with washers and a suspension system."

Roger

I thought we were talking about led units not the bulbs. i tried alot of different ones to cut cost on fleet maintance and they were crap and most ended up melting. I wouldnt ever go down that route of leds. May be ok for fesstoon bulbs but the stop/brake ones i didnt get on with.
stu

Stu, have you ever come across an American company called "Truck-Lite". They make an LED h/lamp in various shapes and they were originally designed for HGV's. They have a UK base in Essex.

Roger

yes there stuff is not to bad there is another company in aus that do LED units and they are brillant will find the make. i dont do hgv any more so i dont get that involved.
stu

I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom but LED lights are illegal in the UK unless specified as original equipment.

Roger

So, given the information you've provided above along with the guidance for E-marked lights, complete LED units would not be illegal then?

yes there stuff is not to bad there is another company in aus that do LED units and they are brillant will find the make. i dont do hgv any more so i dont get that involved.
stu

Stu, would it be LED Autolamps? I have a pair of their units in the rear bumper for the Colorado.

Last edited:
So, given the information you've provided above along with the guidance for E-marked lights, complete LED units would not be illegal then?

Stu, would it be LED Autolamps? I have a pair of their units in the rear bumper for the Colorado.

As I said earlier, I am purely the messenger here but from previous experience with legislation, there always appear to be loopholes. If you interpret it one way then the complete lamp and it's fittings must be integrated into the vehicle at it's birth but if you look at it another way, then the LED units must be assembled as complete units for inclusion into the vehicle, at some stage. What is definite, is that the bulb must be matched to the lamp unit to prevent unwanted and potentially dangerous glare.

Hopefully the powers that be will not no the difference or at least wouldn't want the hassle of trying to prove it in court.

Personally I am interested in some h/lamps made by an American company that is used by there trucking companies. I know they do 12 volt so just need to know if they do right hand drive motors.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks to take off a fair bit of overhang, good job :thumbup:

This pic probably shows it a little better

20130813_163531_zpsf3604841.jpg

Only takes off about 50mm overhang IIRC. Will have a measure tomorrow

Osram "Mainbeam News" Issue 18.
I quote.

"LED versions of car bulbs cannot yet be used for mandatory applications". These include h/lamps, indicators, stoplights,number plate lights and parking lights.

For further info. I suggest you try Osram direct.

www.osram.com/automotive

Remember, I am just the messenger here. There are plenty of situations in an MoT where the tester may pass a part without realising that the part or application may not be legal. If you know about it and are happy that it is safe (that's the critical word) then you can be ready to bluff your way out of it if the situation arises.

Roger

I would take that to mean the replacement bulbs for 99p off Ebay. CBS online have some very nice all in one LED Rear Clusters that are all SVA approved, and again how many busses are there about with LED Rear Clusters. Any who as I said previously i am actually quite pleased with my cheepo £5.99 trailer lights, Just got to figure a way of fixing the original reflector into the end of the chassis rail (its a perfect fit)

What is definite, is that the bulb must be matched to the lamp unit to prevent unwanted and potentially dangerous glare.

Absolutely, that's the bit that the E-marked bulbs & units aims to cover if I'm not mistaken.

I generally follow the premise (because that's how my job works) of "Which legislation am I likely to run into?". In this case, one is far more likely to get pulled up under MoT regs than C&U/Type Approval, which the general public only normally encounters when putting a vehicle through an IVA.

Nice job on the bumper.

I wouldnt fail the lights on mot as long as got its min requirements even if led lamps.
Hid dont have to have washers and self levelling, if fitted has to work.

Personally i would risk an M.O.T fail , i mean who cares have a couple of standard bulbs handy stick em in so he can tick his boxes then put the fancy bulbs back in . Teenagers with low profile tyres , tinted windows and go faster stripes might get unwanted attention about lights but thats all .

Just to clarify.

These are what in theory will get you an MOT Fail.

T2eC16N0E9s37E2DBRjYhbPK60_12_zpsa0281f8c.jpg

These are the sort of thing we were talking about in the first instance and are 100% Legal

Untitled_zpsc8b1984f.png

Also the first ones are the ones that melt and are very easy to catch on fire if not cought in time.
Stu

If they emit the correct colour for the position, give good light output and don't interfere with operation of another light they'd pass. No reason to fail them.

If they emit the correct colour for the position, give good light output and don't interfere with operation of another light they'd pass. No reason to fail them.

All lamps used within Europe must comply with European legislation and carry the "E" mark on them. This, from memory, also applies to the bulbs. If they are not legally marked they are illegal for use.

Roger

From an mot point of view you can't remove the bulbs to check them, if it meets minimum requirement its passed.

Back