england
Just a few nice piccies for you all to enjoy of my new bumper build

IMG0098A_zps35857137.jpg

IMG0101A_zps392277a5.jpg

IMG0100A_zpsa99a0771.jpg

IMG0105A_zps30ebdbd6.jpg

IMG0106A_zps97324c2f.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far Chris. Not a lot of overhang then? Is it worth going LED with the new low level lights? What's the plan for recovery points / towing?

Looking forward to the next episode.

Euan

Just a quick photo update, I was and am looking into LED's for the lights but am actually quite happy with how the cheepo trailerboard lights look. Need to have a bit of a natter with some of the folks at lincomb as to what direction I go in with regards to rear recovery points I am thinking winch but am very nervous about chopping the X-Member out and need a little reassurance.

Any how here's a picci
IMG0113A_zpsef328798.jpg

These are the lamps I have in my bumper

lt661.jpg

About £15 a pop from Trailertek, they're pretty bright.

you need rear reflectors in there as well Chris

why dont you just get the upper lights converted like I have so you don't need any bumper lights at all

Bumper lights are a legal requirement if you carry a spare wheel on the back door coz the wheel hides upper lights when open . I doubt very much any copper in the land would know that nor care though .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the fail under the building and construction regs but not an MOT'er in the land would check it, if the did there wouldn't be a Prado on the road

Law states any external light attached to a vehicle must be in working order yet all colorado and prado were sent to the uk with the upper lights not working .

One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead men got up to fight
back to back they faced each other
drew their swords and shot each other .

I reckon a lawyer originally wrote that !

Looks to take off a fair bit of overhang, good job :thumbup:

Just a quick photo update, I was and am looking into LED's for the lights but am actually quite happy with how the cheepo trailerboard lights look. Need to have a bit of a natter with some of the folks at lincomb as to what direction I go in with regards to rear recovery points I am thinking winch but am very nervous about chopping the X-Member out and need a little reassurance.

Any how here's a picci
IMG0113A_zpsef328798.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom but LED lights are illegal in the UK unless specified as original equipment.

Roger

I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom but LED lights are illegal in the UK unless specified as original equipment.

Roger

How would that work with this bumper then Roger. Because that is clearly not specified as original equipment!!!

I have to say I am not so sure that led are illegal how many buses, coaches and hgv do you see that have been converted to led rear lights. Companies even sell the kits to convert openly. Could you show where you got this information from as i think alot of people would be interested in it and might give them more food for thought when modding the cruisers.
stu

Thought it was HID were illegal unless specified as OEM??

you can have HID as long as you have head light washers. how this makes helps the hid i do not know.
stu

For HID you need head light washers, auto-leveling and the correct reflector and lens design (ie. projector) to be legal.

Id be interested in seeing any info about the legality of LED lights. I know a particular MOT tester I went to once wanted to fail the LC because it had LED bulbs in some of the lights (dont go to him anymore! :eusa-snooty:).

It seems that HID are still a grey area depending on which bit of paperwork you read. However, the important one for our vehicles should be the MoT manual.

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

So in theory you don't *have* to have it, but if it's there it has to work.

Couldn't see anything at all about rear LED lights in the manual though?

I have to say I am not so sure that led are illegal how many buses, coaches and hgv do you see that have been converted to led rear lights. Companies even sell the kits to convert openly. Could you show where you got this information from as i think alot of people would be interested in it and might give them more food for thought when modding the cruisers.
stu

Osram "Mainbeam News" Issue 18.
I quote.

"LED versions of car bulbs cannot yet be used for mandatory applications". These include h/lamps, indicators, stoplights,number plate lights and parking lights.

For further info. I suggest you try Osram direct.

www.osram.com/automotive

Remember, I am just the messenger here. There are plenty of situations in an MoT where the tester may pass a part without realising that the part or application may not be legal. If you know about it and are happy that it is safe (that's the critical word) then you can be ready to bluff your way out of it if the situation arises.

Roger

I thought we were talking about led units not the bulbs. i tried alot of different ones to cut cost on fleet maintance and they were crap and most ended up melting. I wouldnt ever go down that route of leds. May be ok for fesstoon bulbs but the stop/brake ones i didnt get on with.
stu

Back