Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff lock removal

Tom

Hi All,

Could you please tell me how,

98, 100, 4.2

how to remove the rear diff lock with any electrical plug connection location, and also how to get it to work again

Thanks

Tom

Whats the problem? Are you sure its the rear diff lock actuator? Have you checked its getting power and so the problem is not the switch? How mechanically minded re you? If its the actuator they generally cant be repaired if its corroded and so be prepared for an expensive replacement part.

Happy to help but just don't want to waste your time. It also might be an idea to post here and introduce yourself.
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/203-Introduce-Yourself

Hi Tom, did you really join in Nov 11 - and this is your first post?

As to getting it off, it just unbolts. No mysteries. But Warren is right, you might do one or two other tests before getting the tools out. Not usually electrical failures though - other than fuses or disconnected wires.
Chris

Hi and thanks for replying,

I'm not a 100% sure whats wrong or what to do about it, I tried engaging it today because it looked rusty, All I can say at the mo the light on the dash was just flashing, the last time I had to use it was 2008.
If it is seized what can I do about it,
I was just wondering about the right way to get it off anything not to do all I've done so far is clean the muck off it and sprayed it with WD40 type spray, yes I did join in Nov 11 but I've not had any problems to ask about until now, And I'm respraying it so I've not used it since July 12.

Thanks
Tom

I've just had to have a rear actuator replaced on a 100 series and hope your sitting down... £996 +VAT !!

Well, a bit of a search on here will probably turn up some more answers as it's been covered probably more than any other single topic. But, in short, yes they do sometime stop working through lack of use. Sometimes catastrophically and sometimes a tap with a hammer will get them working. They do simply bolt on. There isn't much more to it. If you need help on that bit, I'd suggest leaving it alone! There's usually some sort of tin cover plate and then about 3 nuts/bolts holding it on. I think the rear has a dowel pin too so you cannot twist it off. But not sure of that. They can stick like a good 'un and you'll be convinced there is a bolt you have missed. Be patient and do not whack it with anything. There is an actuator bar that operates the lock, this is connected with a very special small profiled bolt. Put that somewhere very safe! Just spraying it with WD isn't going to help that much. Use good quailty sockets and make sure you wire brush the bolt heads nice and clean. If you round them off, you'll be learning a whole new vocabulary.

Once it's off you can still operate the switch and check for signs of life. If it look all quite clean inside then there is chance for it. But if lots of bits fall out onto the drive, it may be the end of the road for it.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, they fitted the one from Milners first Chris... was faulty!! So not too sure if it is as genuine as they claim. Was a warranty issue anyway so they had to end up paying twice!

That's a strange one for sure. Certainly not heard of this particular product from them having problems. Certainly the ones I have looked at have been gen. They didn't used to be, though. They were copies, made in Japan, but certainly copies. Wonder if you got one that was older stock. It's not impossible.

Chris

Hi Tom

The locker will not engage until dogs inside are lined up. Turn the switch until you get a red flashing light then turn a corner driving along and it should go solid as the locker engages. This is the first test to do.

Frank

centre diff lock probably has to be engaged before the rear will lock as well.

Back