Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear diffs

tilly1

need a little help , i have a lj70 1990 2.4 and the rear axle /diff is badly corroded so i have found a second hand one from a lj78 without electric locker , so like mine , what i need to know is will it be a straight swap ratios are they the same etc , thanks

The LJ70 uses the 8" diff. I believe the 78 uses the same diff. but a different axle casing to suit fully floating axles and maybe disc brakes. I can't guarantee though.

Roger

Their is a good chance the diff ratio's will be different. Presuming your LJ70 is a manual and the LJ78 is an Auto?

I've never seen a manual LJ78, theyve all been Autos. :think:

I dont think their fully floating axles though?

When I bought a set of LJ78 axles they looked the same as my LJ70 ones, just they had disc brakes.

The axle should bolt straight on, and will be a nice upgrade to rear disc brakes, but I think you will have to fit your diff, because I think the ratio will be wrong.

You can check the ratio roughly (without stripping the axle down), by putting a mark on the top of the input flange on the diff (bit the prop bolts to) and put a mark at the top of the disc/drum brake.

Then count how many times the disc/drum turns for one rotation of the input flange. :icon-wink:

If it has discs at the back it will have fully floating axles. This set-up prevents any chance of the disc moving axially and increasing pedal movement.

Roger

Will the new casing accept the locker? I thought the profiles would be different. Isn't there usually some sort of 'cut out' where the motor bolts on. Course if you don't need the locker it doesn't matter.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The way I read it was that Tilly doesnt have a locker, and nor does the new axle? :?

Ahh, yes that rather does depend how you read it Ben. I think you are right. I just wouldn't have mentioned the locker in that case.

Even if the diff don't swap directly, I'd presume that the R&P would?

C

Yes I'd have thought so Chris. As there both 8" diffs. :think:

The 78 diff *may* be a lsd as they were an option, would be a result if it was.

Pete

Then you must have a "semi-floating" type. In this system the half shaft rotates inside a roller bearing at the hub end and is located within the diff by an "axle shaft lock". The back of the diff has a separate, bolted on, cover.

Roger

No it's not floating at all, same set up as the drum brake version.

How very odd, the manual only shows a drum brake fitted onto the 8" light duty axle.

Interesting though.

Thanks for the info.

Roger

thanks lads :icon-biggrin: , great trucks , thinking of maybe a 90 but they just dont seem to be as tough as the 70 series mmmmm

The 90 has it's points but for serious articulation the IFS is not as good as a coil sprung beam axle. That said, a guy in Australia has just completed a beam axle conversion on a Surf. Must rad about that.

Roger

Back