Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear drawer system.

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Thought I had better start bringing a few more posts over from the other place. 90 section looking a bit bare. Here's the rear draw system that I built. Typically over-engineered I suppose, but it works extremely well. Top deck was loaded with red deer the other day and I could still open the drawers. I would like to cover the whole deck either in aluminium tread plate of some sort of butyl coating. Anyway, there isn't much text needed here. It's pretty self explanatory.

Started with a cargo barrier / headboard
19552-4b44c733de5022e5af24b3dff3fd0df4.jpg

[attachment=11:2zdd6pde]IMGP3492.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
Then with rear seats removed, tied a frame into existing mounting points for things like seatbelts etc
19553-f1058df22151a3fb6ede958e654ebd1f.jpg

[attachment=8:2zdd6pde]IMGP3497.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
[attachment=10:2zdd6pde]IMGP3493.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
[attachment=7:2zdd6pde]IMGP3499.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
I wanted to use the space over the wheel tubs, so they got boxed in too
[attachment=9:2zdd6pde]IMGP3538.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
That gave me something to tie the frame into with the drawer sliders welded in

That got boarded out with 9mm MDF. Plenty strong enough given the bracing underneath.
[attachment=6:2zdd6pde]IMGP3541.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
Compressor got a permanent location
[attachment=5:2zdd6pde]IMGP3555.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
Drawers went in - look, no screws! Now that's craftsmanship
[attachment=0:2zdd6pde]IMGP3570.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
Window mesh guards were bolted into the grab handle points
[attachment=3:2zdd6pde]IMGP3563.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
Third battery just for basic lighting etc went underneath the deck
[attachment=4:2zdd6pde]IMGP3557.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
I put a safe into the other wheel arch
IMGP3678.jpg

IMGP3697.jpg

And gave it all a coat of paint
Finished the fronts of the drawers in aluminium and put airline style locks on
[attachment=1:2zdd6pde]IMGP3578.JPG[/attachment:2zdd6pde]
And that's about it. Been tested in action and passed with flying colours. The drawers are about a meter long and hold shed loads of stuff. If you did a lwb version you could go right back to the front seats and have hinge up sections at the back door into square bins or even drawers that come out through the rear door!

Chris

IMGP3492.JPG IMGP3493.JPG IMGP3538.JPG IMGP3497.JPG IMGP3499.JPG IMGP3541.JPG IMGP3555.JPG IMGP3557.JPG IMGP3563.JPG IMGP3570.JPG IMGP3578.JPG IMGP3570.JPG

Last edited:
Very tidy work Chris, I like. I really need to learn how to weld!

Thanks dudes. The runners are 650mm B&Q. Pretty good.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris
I'd love to see your drawers, but most of the photos are missing.
Photo bucket has deleted them.

Please load again as I would love to see your setup

Very nice Chris

Just a question: I see the compressor mounted in the one pannel, but cant seem to see where it fits in the cab. Where did you hide it?

Sorry Adam, don't quite understand the question. Do you mean where does that cut out for the compressor sit in the vehicle? If so, that is the headboard and the cut out is behind the passenger seat. It forms a sort of alcove if you like.

Chris

very nice job.u can use it also as a bedroom.. :thumbup:

you gave me a lot of ideas..thanks chris

Bedroom? I think that with grilles on the windows, a cargo barrier and no handle on the inside of the door to let you out, it would be a big mistake to shut yourself in.

Nope, not a good idea at all.
Glad it gave you some ideas though.

Chris

Very nice i like the safe good idea :thumbup:
what sort off weight do you think that little lot came in at as mdf is quite heavy is it not.

do you think it would equal the weight of the interior ?

Good question. Not a clue. I would say heavier than what came out, but then I put OME springs on the rear to cope with the extra weight. All seemed pretty well balanced. MDF not that heavy in 9mm. Steel wasn't bad either. It's 2.0 mm wall. Really quite light and VERY strong.

Chris

Oh no :!: ;) Why did you post those pictures up I've got far to much going on as it is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hah. Just to wind you up matey. It's a slippery slope is this. Hey, how do you reckon that blond lass got on then? I bet you slipped back when I had gone. She looked like she needed someone with a decent toolkit to give her a service. What a wreck. The Landrover, that is. :lol:

Chris

I bet you slipped back when I had gone
:o :lol: No chance m8 I couldn't get away fast enough :lol: ;) The state of that Rad (No cooling fins) :shock: :lol:

None of the pics show is there any chance of relinking them as this thread is listed in the Mods FAQ
Thanks
Dave

Not really. It was years ago. Sorry. Don't think I even have the pics anymore. I certainly don't have the vehicle.

Chris

Pictures mostly restored although one appears twice and I can't delete it at the second as it's not appearing in the edit window??

Back