Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear end sway

the first pic is what it looked like last year after it was undersealed

as you can make out what part is cracked but how importand is that tube and what if if it snapped whilst driving.

mms_20150828.jpg DSC_0102.jpg DSC_0104.jpg DSC_0105.jpg DSC_0106.jpg DSC_0107.jpg DSC_0108.jpg

people saying just get rid but my hart and sole belong to this car as it has taken my money over the years but don't care as if i had a normal car Audi BMW would be bored just looking at it all the time with the lc90 can play around with it all the time.:tonguewink:

DSC_0105.jpg

If it were me i would sleeve that cracked cross section before i attempted to repair it , your control arms attach to it so there's potential for alignment issues if its not straight i would think .

If it were me i would sleeve that cracked cross section before i attempted to repair it , your control arms attach to it so there's potential for alignment issues if its not straight i would think .

thanks shayne and im not doing it and the other tube cross member went on me last yr and welder who done it did axacty that as cut the damaged piece out and used scaffold i think then undersealed.
Same guy doing this one as good friend of mine with his own garage
Is it possible to replace the whole tube even with all attachments on there.

Well clearly a new tube or a sleeved tube would have to be welded to the attachments too, as well as the chassis ladder.

The attachments are the pieces that support the axle in position, so are vital to alignment and strength.

I don't think an experienced car repair welder guy would have much trouble repairing this, there are worse situations to deal with and even those can be overcome.

Good that you've found it and can get on with a proper repair, before it crumbles and lands you in deep do-do.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what will i notice if it snaps whilst driving as i still use it daily but when i got underneath it felt solid even tho was cracked..:teasing-newbie::character-oscar:

on a plus note i managed to fix the noise that sounded like a metal noise.
I removed the rear door panel only to find everything was tight and all sealed so i double checked all nuts and bolts are tight.As i put the door cover back on i heard it again and guess what it was the hi viz light making all the racket.( would u believe that) so removed and fixed.
STRANGE ONE THAT.:text-bravo:

what will i notice if it snaps whilst driving as i still use it daily but when i got underneath it felt solid even tho was cracked..:teasing-newbie::character-oscar:

Let's say it won't, but don't let that stop you getting it repaired.

If it broke, the back end of your truck would likely steer itself to one side traveling forwards but in a crab-like fashion.

If it totally collapsed, highly unlikely, then the rear axle would not be attached to the car at the top, and would want to rotate. Who knows how serious that may be, not too bad if you're not a fast driver but it's likely to cause some collateral damage underneath.

Let's say it won't, but don't let that stop you getting it repaired.

If it broke, the back end of your truck would likely steer itself to one side traveling forwards but in a crab-like fashion.

If it totally collapsed, highly unlikely, then the rear axle would not be attached to the car at the top, and would want to rotate. Who knows how serious that may be, not too bad if you're not a fast driver but it's likely to cause some collateral damage underneath.

STUPID Question but can a scaffold pole be placed right thew the pole from the wheel arch of the same length but fraction smaller in diameter so strength is reinstated and weld both ends.
If this is the case i will get my rear one done also.is it that simple.:text-blondmoment::text-thankyoublue:

That's exactly what i would do Tony but i think scaffold will be to big in diameter , i would order a 3mm wall pipe of a diameter that needed a very big hammer to force it through because it has to put things back exactly as they should be and you end up with a cross section twice as strong as the original .

That's exactly what i would do Tony but i think scaffold will be to big in diameter , i would order a 3mm wall pipe of a diameter that needed a very big hammer to force it through because it has to put things back exactly as they should be and you end up with a cross section twice as strong as the original .

Sorry shayne when you told me to retube it i missunder stood what you meant untill i looked at the wheel arch and shone my tourch thew it and see wot u meant.
Piece right threw the middle and say for example the crossmember was 90mm inside get a 3mm wall pipe 89mm along them lines anyway..

That's the recipe :thumbup:

And if thats the way your going it might be an idea to start splashing some rust remover inside the tube now .

Just thought Tony i have a body lift which makes my plan very straight forward indeed , i'm not sure if your body work might get in the way or not but its a brilliant excuse for another lift :D

Just thought Tony i have a body lift which makes my plan very straight forward indeed , i'm not sure if your body work might get in the way or not but its a brilliant excuse for another lift :D
to be honest shayne my car is standard and my wife moans now about how she struggles to get in my 90 now.She drives a fiesta tho .have you ever removed a tank as not looking fwd to it as my luck will get all bolts out but one rounded off or rusted.
Just thought on got an exhaust jack here witch i bought new tried once and back in the cupboard as great if u get stuck in mud and lifted my 90 up so easy.paid £78 its your if u want it or u now some one that can use it as such a waste.

Thanks for the offer mate there's a demand for them jack's but i don't have room for one , stick it on the classified section and i'm sure it will get snapped up :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer mate there's a demand for them jack's but i don't have room for one , stick it on the classified section and i'm sure it will get snapped up :thumbup:

Any idea shayne were to get a piece of tube from as looked everywere and cant find it.
Dimentions are 3mmx49mmx1092mm as crossmember size is 3mmx50x1092..

Your welder will know where to order local steel from . Oh I haven't dropped the tank on mine , as i said at the start of this thread i've not yet had any fuel problems .
Some tlc is on the cards though as you thread has sort of kicked my arse into gear by telling me i can avoid all of your problems if i address them now .

Your welder will know where to order local steel from . Oh I haven't dropped the tank on mine , as i said at the start of this thread i've not yet had any fuel problems .
Some tlc is on the cards though as you thread has sort of kicked my arse into gear by telling me i can avoid all of your problems if i address them now .

If you got the rite tools and space to work then go for it after all shayne think were over the bad weather now so try get ur 90 purring again.:angry-screaming::auto-crash:

Back